Cooling system advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Just watch your temperature gauge, as if there is a huge amount of air in the system, the motor could overheat. I highly doubt this would happen just from the bit of coolant lost from the heater hoses, but you never know.
Ever since I fixed it. It's still ran cool. I'm almost tempted to bleed it tonight for the hell of it. I don't have time to do the fitting tonigtlht I don't think, but I just might because of the over heating threat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found it fairly easy to replace the factory set-up with AN-10 to pipe adapter,and "socketless" fittings/hose...

You must be registered for see images

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never would have thought of that, looks like a nice setup. No clamps required?

I've read that the factory fitting had some restrictor or orifice inside to reduce flow to the heater. There was no way in hell that I was going to reuse that quick connect setup when I replaced mine, so if there was any restrictor it's gone now and I haven't noticed any issues.

Has anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No clamps,except for one(s) at the heater core. Not aware of a "restrictor" specifically as it may be simply part of the quick-connector...

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could well believe it has a restrictor. The Dorman kit has a plastic cup with a strainer and a rubber bung that drops in with a reduced orifice. This takes the 1/2" nipple (or whatever it is) down to maybe 3/16".

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any issues with it. I did the work back in November 2016, heater seemed to work fine but I don't use it a lot (Mississippi).

I haven't seen any corrosion where it threads into the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the fast reply

sound good, I'm gonna order mine tonight. my plastic one went a couple months ago & I haven't gotten around to fixing it.
@ 494k mi & being c3500 cclb it see's limited driving now, mostly Lowes or compost center runs, occasionally to work me @ the quarry