Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to replace the waterpump on my 97 and so I went to pick up some Coolant. I was planning on doing a flush while I was at it since its been a while. I have the green conventional Coolant in my truck but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask what the difference is while I was at the parts store. According to their system I should be running the orange Dex cool Coolant. Their chart said 1994 and newer should have the dex cool.

What do you guys run and what year do you have?
Also what is the cooling system capacity / volume?

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I don't know about volume but i never use that dex cool crap. i have heard so many things about having to do constant maintenance to it or it turns acidic and eats away at aluminum and thin steel parts. I always flush it out real well and put the good ole green back in. But to help with volume, i usually buy 2 gallons of pure coolant and top the rest off with water if needed. If you need to add water on the initial fill then it seems like it is more to a 75/25 mix. But either way by going this route, it leaves some wiggle room for periodic top-offs. I usually use water in the summer for top-offs and go back to the pure or 50/50 coolant in late august or october.

I should also mention that it has been a while since i had done a flush on a 400 so i could be off on how much it will actually take.

pike_mazter

Reaction score
I don't run the dex cool either, although I have heard that after a class action lawsuit the formula was changed so it no longer did damage. It was used in my wife's Malibu and its junk, pure junk. I haven't flushed in a while and I don't remember how much. I might take that task on next weekend.

theoutlaw

Reaction score
Dex cool eats away at your intake gaskets. Thats why there was a class action law suit about it. I either use the green or that Prestone mix with any color stuff.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you guys talked me into taking the dex-cool back and just getting some green conventional stuff. I hadn't heard about any of those lawsuits or stuff and where these trucks have genetically weak intake manifold gaskets (even though I've now got the upgraded one) I don't want to put in potentially gasket eating coolant.

theoutlaw

Reaction score
I'm picky on my coolant too but I've been using this pre mix stuff thats made to go with any color for several years now without a problem. I still test the strength of it though.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
That's another odd thing for me. I wont buy certain coolants but i don't test either. I normally do a flush well before i need to though so i don't think testing is necessary.

theoutlaw

Reaction score
I test right after I flush just to make sure its right. I do this before I even take it on a test drive. I'm very thorough when it comes to maintaining my truck though.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was planning on doing this before the really hot days up here in WI. Ill prolly be putting the reliable green in. Dex cool scares me too, and there's no reason to change something that works as well as the green. Just make sure if your switching coolants to completely flush your system. green + dex cool = sludge