Coolant Temperature Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95k2500

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if these are legitimately failed? I understand they can cause all sorts of issues with running rich, etc, but I would want to confirm the part is bad before shelling out $30 for another.

While my truck was running, I popped off the two wire plug and it definitely bogged and started running poorly without, also kicked the SES light... reconnected and it cleared up and light went out... so am I to assume the part is still good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
that would be a safe assumption, take it out and clean it might help if theres some build up giving a false reading maybe, otherwise if your truck acts like it hates life when unplugged then itd be a safe assumption.

what are you trying to conclude by finding out if your cts is bad or not? is your guage not working or something? theres also a second sensor on the side of your head that is just for the sensor if i remember correctly.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I found a new Delphi on Amazon for $15 shipped, awhile back. It didn't change the way my truck runs, Though. I cleaned the original up with a wire wheel, and am saving it.

I've seen a temperature and resistance chart for it, and checked a few spots. It seemed okay, but I think it's kind of hard to check accurately.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I honestly think mine has a dead spot in it. On warm up, as the temp gauge passes about 120°, truck floods terribly. By the time its up to about 130, it straightens out and is fine.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
I honestly think mine has a dead spot in it. On warm up, as the temp gauge passes about 120°, truck floods terribly. By the time its up to about 130, it straightens out and is fine.

Weird.. Get a new one and see how that works. If it doesnt, clean it and repackage. Give it back sayin you didnt use it or it was the wrong one :rofl:

Sent From ******'s Cellular Device

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I got a snap on modis scanner at my disposal. One of these days i'll plug up to it and look at the CTS voltage as it warms up.

95k2500

Reaction score
that would be a safe assumption, take it out and clean it might help if theres some build up giving a false reading maybe, otherwise if your truck acts like it hates life when unplugged then itd be a safe assumption.

what are you trying to conclude by finding out if your cts is bad or not? is your guage not working or something? theres also a second sensor on the side of your head that is just for the sensor if i remember correctly.

My truck hesitates from time to time, the most concerning is when it's under hard acceleration, especially past 2500 rpm when you are trying to climb a hill or pull a load up an incline. Trying to sort it out and want to rule out items one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk