Coolant temp sensor question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could do that but prefer not having multiple gauges for what's already on the dash. I drive a truck for a living and drives me up the wall not to have a some what accurate gauge.
Yah I can understand where this would get annoying.......lol.... I don't drive a rig. I have driven a few f750's, when i worked for the power company building the power lines, and such with to many gauges for my liking though..

Think we can fit all these in our trucks....lol....
You must be registered for see images attach

sent from what use to be a great country...

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock gauge always reads low for some reason. Reason why I say that is I had my code reader on my 96 when I had it and it said it was running in between 190 and 205 all the time but the dash said 160/180 or so. If you can check it with a code reader or get an aftermarket gauge. I just run with it. Before I figured out that the dash reads low I put about 3 temp sensors in there thinking there was a problem. Nope.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly believe that the car/truck makers put gauges into the vehicles for marketing reasons, not because they want to help us monitor the vehicle systems. On my 98, the temp gauge reads low (good! trucks running cool); the oil pressure reads above the middle mark (great! engine's in good shape). Ditto for my Mustang GT. They just want to re-assure us.

The kind of owner that hangs out on this forum would prefer to know what the real temp and pressure are, so we end up with guys changing sensors, and installing aftermarket gauges.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yah I can understand where this would get annoying.......lol.... I don't drive a rig. I have driven a few f750's, when i worked for the power company building the power lines, and such with to many gauges for my liking though..

Think we can fit all these in our trucks....lol....
You must be registered for see images attach

sent from what use to be a great country...
Lol the kenworth I drove for work last year had almost 100 different things in the cab alone I had to use regularly from gauges to switches and yes I counted. Came out to the low 80s. Not to mention the 13 gears I always had to keep track of which one I was in and the six mirrors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

93yukon

Reaction score
I know bringing back an old thread but I'd like to know what it takes to install a triple gauge setup in my 93. the volt meter is self explanatory, but the oil pressure I don't know about. I'm just curious of the fittings used and threads etc. I'd like to retain the factory one but am not sure how to do it. any help is greatly appreciated!! is there a write up somewhere on here?

93yukon

Reaction score
I don't have a heater but here is my dilemma, my truck won't warm up according to the gauge. Truck gets up to 155* and just stays there. I've installed a new 190* thermostat, radiator cap, heater core, and fan clutch. The truck has all those brand new parts and fresh antifreeze but still won't warm up. The truck is an '89 Sierra 1500 with a '94 tbi 454. I did notice today that my blend door actuator for the air direction (face to feet) is stuck on feet. My thing is this. If the engine is warming up, my gauge should tell me and the air coming out at my feet should be warm, but it isn't. If my coolant temp gauge is bad, the air should still be warm. If the blend door actuator that controls the temperature is stuck between cold and hot, the gauge should tell me the engine is warm but my air isn't. The only thing I can think is my coolant temp sensor is bad along with both blend door actuators. Anybody have any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does it have full coolant?
Sounds like the coolant temp sensor to the gauge is like mine it hits 150ish and stops
And very well could be about the blend door actuators both being stuck in worked on a Ford pick up that had that problem just last week

93yukon

Reaction score
It does have all brand new coolant. If it was just the coolant temp sensor not working properly, then the engine should still warm up and I should still have a heater...right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah you would think....I'm not sure what the problem could be

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not much help here but,

1: you said that your blend door doesn't work. so start w/ that. is the plug melted or is it a bad switch? that will def fix one problem on your truck. if it solves other problems in the process, even better.

if it doesn't solve your other issues, then move onto step 2.

2: check free & or easy stuff 1st.
a: you replaced your t-stat & coolant, did you get all of the air out?
b: verify that fuses & relays are good
c: check your blower resistor. are the plugs melted? if good plugs, maybe the resistor is bad?
d: put the truck on a scanner to see how accurate your gauge is. wont fix anything other than knowing how off it might be.

hope this helps

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a coolant bypass on the passenger side of the engine? If so, that could be bad and causing no coolant to be routed to the heater core.