Coolant temp sensor question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian79

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 92 GMC C1500. The temp sensor that shows up on the dash has been broke. Meaning the pigtail and sensor was both damaged to where I needed to replace both. I have placed 2 new sensors and 2 new pigtails on but it still only shows around 160 on the dash. Is the inaccurate reading on the dash from having to splice the wires together (using a butt connector) or is there something that I'm missing. The thermostat is a 190* Thanks

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you fiqure it out or someone does I'd like to know... mine does the exact same thing on my 94 k1500 5.7..... tried a couple differant sensors and same with differant good quality thermostats. But still same issue as you.... guage only reads 160ish all the time....

sent from what use to be a great country...

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Seems low considering you're running a 190 thermostat, Might not be a bad idea if you're concerned about accuracy to get a real coolant temp gauge instead.

Brian79

Reaction score
If you fiqure it out or someone does I'd like to know... mine does the exact same thing on my 94 k1500 5.7..... tried a couple differant sensors and same with differant good quality thermostats. But still same issue as you.... guage only reads 160ish all the time....

sent from what use to be a great country...

As soon as I can get this figured out I'll give you a shout.

Brian79

Reaction score
Seems low considering you're running a 190 thermostat, Might not be a bad idea if you're concerned about accuracy to get a real coolant temp gauge instead.

I could do that but prefer not having multiple gauges for what's already on the dash. I drive a truck for a living and drives me up the wall not to have a some what accurate gauge.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 350 shows a low temp on the dash gauge as well. I put in a new TStat, no difference. I think the gauge on the dash is basically just for show. I'm tempted to install a real oil pressure gauge and a real temp gauge in a panel below the dash, quality gauges that are mechanical.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
they're really easy to install, coolant temp sensor just goes where the gauge sensor goes, oil pressure just taps to the block, and volt gauge just goes to a + and -

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
No trouble at all,here ya go..

Water temp gauge I used the same hole that the cluster gauge used,just removed that one.After determining that the cluster gauge was pretty close I re-installed the cluster temp gauge so the mechanical gauge is now used for trans temp.
You must be registered for see images attach

That setup lasted a few months then I drilled a hole in an extra trans pan,welded in a bung and screwed in the sensor.

The oil pressure gauge I just ''T''d in where dash gauge goes so I can have both.

Last edited: