Coolant sensor and coolant gauge help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my sensor in a 1990 K2500 with a 5.7. I traced the wire from the driver side cylinder head, up to the front of the motor, joins the rest of the harness, runs down the passenger side of the motor, then goes in with the rest of the harness. I'm almost sure that it goes through the firewall on the passenger side with the main harness. The wire is dark green in color.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yours looks like it might be the same style as mine. Now i just need to find a cut wire on my main wire that looks blackish green and run it back around. I am thinking about running to the junk yard tomorrow to get some hands on research and see where i can trace one to. Thanks all for your help... confirms that it must be cut somewhere and that I am at least headed in the right direction now.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So to summarize this thread (and to make ny head stop spinning), the coolant temp sensor for the gauge is on the drivers side of the motor in the head?
I did the one on the intake hoping it would fix the gauge and it didn't as far as I can tell.
To fix that I'll need to do the one on the drivers side in the head. Right?

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So to summarize this thread (and to make ny head stop spinning), the coolant temp sensor for the gauge is on the drivers side of the motor in the head?
I did the one on the intake hoping it would fix the gauge and it didn't as far as I can tell.
To fix that I'll need to do the one on the drivers side in the head. Right?

Driver side head = dash gauge, intake = ECM

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driver side head = dash gauge, intake = ECM

So did I do anything by replacing the one for the em? It was starting rough in the cold, and sometimes it wants to stutter and die. No noticeable difference.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did I do anything by replacing the one for the em? It was starting rough in the cold, and sometimes it wants to stutter and die. No noticeable difference.

The ECM CTS sensor could affect fuel delivery and spark advance. Replacing it with no improvement could mean the thermostat has failed open and is overcooling.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a brand new thermostat too

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know when i unplugged the ECM CTS sensor the truck barely ran, but if you replaced it and no change its likely not your culprit.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented here.. for the first time since I have owned the truck i have a coolant gauge! :banana-mario:

You must be registered for see images attach