Coolant reservoir empty but radiator is full?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my radiator is filled to the top with coolant but my reservoir keeps going empty whenever i fill it back up. what gives? have any of y'all experienced this? what could it be?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Pull the coolant tank out. Check the bottom hose area of the tank. It might've cracked, or it might have a bad seal on the metal hose attachment.

Otherwise, I've been having that off and on as well. Check the hose from the tank to the radiator. Also check the plug on the radiator on the top passenger side right by where that hose comes in.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you dont fill the tank when it goes empty does the level get lower in the rad? My 88 for some reason the radiator is full and the tank is dead on the cold line and never changes ambient temp/engine temp doesnt matter and the raditor is always full.

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a similar problem when i was just running water. Soon as i went with coolent it seems to be fine.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont fill the tank when it goes empty does the level get lower in the rad? My 88 for some reason the radiator is full and the tank is dead on the cold line and never changes ambient temp/engine temp doesnt matter and the raditor is always full.

Mine is the same way. Stays at the line.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i found out that the leak is coming from one of the hard lines on the top of the radiator driver side. is this the oil cooler line?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The oil cooler/trans cooler lines have oil/tranny fluid going through them to the radiator, not coolant going the other way. If you have coolant coming out of one of hose hard lines, that is wayyyy bad. Are you sure it isn't leaking down from the upper radiator hose?

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^i changed out my upper and lower rad hoses about 2months ago so i doubt the leak is coming from there

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
What about that small hose from the tank to the radiator? Or that plug (I think it's a 1") right by the fill cap on the radiator?