Coolant reservoir empty but radiator is full?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
He said he thinks the radiator is leaking from the drivers side. All those are on the pass side.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the leak is coming from the metal line under the upper rad hose
You must be registered for see images attach

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If it is coming from inside that line, it is oil. It could be a crack around where the nut mounts to the tank though. Pretty common for an old radiator, sometime in the past the oil cooler line was loosened by someone and when the radiators are that old the nut can turn and crack the tank. Happened on my 98 no less than 4 weeks ago.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the leak is coming from the metal line under the upper rad hose
You must be registered for see images attach

Its not coming OUT of that metal line it's coming out around it. The tank maybe cracked right there or the gasket is leaking

Sent from somewhere in MN

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about that small hose from the tank to the radiator? Or that plug (I think it's a 1") right by the fill cap on the radiator?

is that supposed to be a plug?
i thought that was for the heater hose
mine had been plugged, but when i pulled the engine and put other one in, i thought something said that was for the heater hose
though my heater still doesnt blow hot

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe i just need a new heater core then, forgot to pull it out of my parts truck before i got rid of it

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my heater core, radiator, radiator hoses, cap, heater hoses, thermostat, and overflow hose. I did it when I did the engine swap just to make everything fresh. The only thing I didn't replace was the overflow tank. I filled it to the cold line, and it stays there, maybe drops a hair under in a months time. I figured there may have been some evaporation causing the slight drop. The windshield bottle does the same thing when the truck sits.