coolant pouring out the exhaust after motor install? (350 TBI)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a slightly used 350 TBI into my future tow pig/SAS 94 Suburban. Friend said it ran great and I had no reason not to trust him. I pulled the pan and intake and replaced those gaskets, since the motor had sat for about 4 years. Everything looked great and could tell it was a low mileage crate motor. I never pulled the heads, since I HATE setting hydraulic lifters.

Fired the motor up, ran fine (other than a super high idle, but I didn't have time to address that, and it was probably just timing or vacuum not hooked up). I noticed coolant PUMPING out of the exhaust. I ran a compression check, all cylinders at 150 psi except for one just a hair lower at 135-140. Pulled the plugs, topped of the coolant and spun the motor, couldn't get it to push coolant out of a spark plug hole.

No coolant in oil that I can tell (from the dip stick)

I'm hopping its just the intake gaskets, but what else should I check?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pressure test the radiator with the plugs removed and see where the coolant is coming from. If you don't find it then it could be that there was a bunch of water just sitting in the exhaust system prior to installing the new engine.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that same exact thing after I posted this, I went and got a tester, just waiting for a second to test it, hopefully in an hour or so.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE: I pumped the system up to about 17 or 18 psi. Everything held fine, no leaks, then the rear crossover let loose (the hose going in by dizzy, the plastic clipped one). I'm starting to thing that I might have just had a ton of water in the exhaust after all. Now to get a new clip....

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE: I pumped the system up to about 17 or 18 psi. Everything held fine, no leaks, then the rear crossover let loose (the hose going in by dizzy, the plastic clipped one). I'm starting to thing that I might have just had a ton of water in the exhaust after all. Now to get a new clip....

You might be a lucky guy after all!