Coolant Lines on a Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hyperti2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for a while i have had a loss of antifreeze and a build up at the intake. I figured it was intake gaskets so i was driving it today i got home and noticed some steam from the hood i popped it and saw a line connecting to my intake had a little smoke coming from it and some build up so i barley touched it it came off and coolant went everywhere. I have no idea how this line connects to the intake or if something broke off or what. Any info is appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it broke; welcome to GM heater hose quick-connect fitting hell.

You'll have to carefully extract the broken part in the intake; it's threaded in there. There are a few different extractor tools you can try, or you can VERY carefully hacksaw away at it in a criss-cross fashion and pick out the pieces. Gotta be very careful not to damage the threads in the intake.

Buy the replacement part which is made of steel, instead of the original pot metal. Or, replace with standard hose nipple and chop the quick connect end off your hose/replace with regular heater hose.

Richard

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is your heater core line. The piece that broke is the quick disconnect that ALWAYS breaks. They actually sell a tool to remove the rest of the fitting from the intake manifold!

Hyperti2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it broke; welcome to GM heater hose quick-connect fitting hell.

You'll have to carefully extract the broken part in the intake; it's threaded in there. There are a few different extractor tools you can try, or you can VERY carefully hacksaw away at it in a criss-cross fashion and pick out the pieces. Gotta be very careful not to damage the threads in the intake.

Buy the replacement part which is made of steel, instead of the original pot metal. Or, replace with standard hose nipple and chop the quick connect end off your hose/replace with regular heater hose.

Richard

That is your heater core line. The piece that broke is the quick disconnect that ALWAYS breaks. They actually sell a tool to remove the rest of the fitting from the intake manifold!

Thanks guys do either of you have a preference on which tool to use?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had to personally replace mine yet. So I couldn't tell ya which is better

Hyperti2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went and got a new fitting from napa got a decent size easy out in there and it came right out. Thanks guys.