Conversion, Gasoline to Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have been thinking long and hard. I want to either convert my truck to a Diesel (project over the summer) Or to just buy a diesel truck. Either droppin a 6.5L Or the new 6.6L in it. My question is. Is it worth it? I'd like to get a new 2011 or 2012, cause that would help with my job. But I can't exactly drop $54,000 for a new truck. And if I did get a new one, It'd be a 3500HD LTZ single wheel with a 6.6L Turbo Diesel with upgrades. Even that would help with my job. Lot's of pullin and tuggin. Anyway. Yes or no?:boti:

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Depends on what your truck is and how tech savvy you are. If it's a 1500 like your screen name says then a D max is pretty much out of the question as it will tear the truck up bad so a 6.5 would be the way to go. You would need to find a lot of components including a computer to make the swap work. If you really like your truck and think you can do it then go for it otherwise start saving some clams for a newer truck.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Ya know, I've looked into this conversion and all together its roughly $7k with you doing all the labor. I'd just save up and buy one in all honesty.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could make a good project if I have nothing to do and a lot of cash which is the opposite of what I have.
So my next question. Can I or is it stupid to put a Turbo on my 5.7?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Depends on what your truck is and how tech savvy you are. If it's a 1500 like your screen name says then a D max is pretty much out of the question as it will tear the truck up bad so a 6.5 would be the way to go. You would need to find a lot of components including a computer to make the swap work. If you really like your truck and think you can do it then go for it otherwise start saving some clams for a newer truck.

nothing wrong with a dmax in a 1500, there is a reg cab short flareside 88 with a dmax who drag races it and it holds up just fine, the 6.5 really is not that good and not worth the trouble to swap, better to get a 6.5 truck to begin with instead.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nothing wrong with a dmax in a 1500, there is a reg cab short flareside 88 with a dmax who drag races it and it holds up just fine, the 6.5 really is not that good and not worth the trouble to swap, better to get a 6.5 truck to begin with instead.

So your sayin if I'm gonna convert I should use the 6.6?

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can but a whipplecharger would be better

Sounds good. I'm gonna try that out and maybe just stick with that. I'd like to do the 6.6 conversion but that will take time and money. What kind of increase in HP and Torque would I see if I put the Whipple Charger on it? Maybe 50HP?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm gonna try that out and maybe just stick with that. I'd like to do the 6.6 conversion but that will take time and money. What kind of increase in HP and Torque would I see if I put the Whipple Charger on it? Maybe 50HP?

whipple states up to 60% power increase so if you have 190hp that should be like 100 hp added when tuned if i am thinking right