Control arm scoring brake rotor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW that almost came completely off.

That is exactly why only that side rubs the nut on the BJ came loose and let it flop and move. I bet that tire is worn uneven because of it too.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
There no reason why the pin would snap by force. It just prevents the nut from turning. As long as it was the right size pin it should have been strong enough... maybe it was just a fluke pin that hd a hairline crack or just bad metal spot to weak. Only problem I've had is those things rusting in and not wanting to come out!

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I really can't imagine anything forcing it. So I guess let this be a lesson, never take those pins for granted.

Reaction score
Ok so here's what I've found out. The pin BROKE, it was still inside the threaded part of the balljoint but the ends were cleanly broken off. Got a new pin and was able to tighten the nut back down to where it needs to be and put the new pin in. For now I figure I can keep a close eye on it and drive it locally til I'm more sure of it. So there's really no telling when that pin broke, could have been last week, could have been longer.

I'm a bit concerned about why the pin broke though. Either it was just a low quality pin I got with the ball joint, or something else created a force that caused the knut to snap it off. Anyone have something like this happen before?
So what you did was tighten the nut and added a new pin and it fixed the problem ?