CONTROL ARM BUSHING REMOVAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if it doesn't belong here, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to replace my old control arm bushings with some MOOG and looking for the easiest way to remove and install them. I've searched some posts but a little to vague for me. Can somebody who has done them help me out here.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i took my control arms off and took the lower ball joints and bushings to a buddy who had a press and he pressed them all in for me.. is this what you were asking?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like to use an air hammer to punch the old ones out, and then also to drive the new ones in, if you have access to a press that's the best way, or you can take your arm's off and take them to a tire shop that does suspension and have them press the old ones out and the new ones in. They usually don't charge much at all to just do that if they are already off of the truck.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We've got a press here where I work. Am I going to need any special attachments that you know of?

TTZ06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing special to speak of really. Dont obstruct the new one going in

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would recommend a press. I just did my uppers... only had a air chisel/hammer and wished I had access to a press. Not sure if I just had a bad day or what but it was a chore.

Now I am actually going to go to new upper control arms so I will be throwing all the hard work and new parts away...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have done it a few times, it's possible to do all 4 control arm's bushing's in about 2 hour's with an air hammer, but yeah a press is much easier!

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the best way to get the lower control arm off on a 1999 4WD ECSB? I want to replace the bushings, but I have heard it is dificult to do because of the torsion bars. Is there some sort of link with a guide to removing them?

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the best way to get the lower control arm off on a 1999 4WD ECSB? I want to replace the bushings, but I have heard it is dificult to do because of the torsion bars. Is there some sort of link with a guide to removing them?

You will have to unload the torsion bars to be able to safely drop the lca. With the bar still in place, you can unbolt the lca, and let it drop down some. A balljoint press will work decent to remove the bushings, a little heat will make them pop out much easier.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to unload the torsion bars to be able to safely drop the lca. With the bar still in place, you can unbolt the lca, and let it drop down some. A balljoint press will work decent to remove the bushings, a little heat will make them pop out much easier.

...and when you unload them, use the proper tool. A lot of guys (me included) have historically used big C Clamps to unload tbars, but they can slip. The right tool will cost you about $75 (RCX sells one) and it 10x safer then some of the other crazy methods for unloading bars.

Good luck and post up some pics!!

Just as a side thought, Energy Suspension makes a nice set of control arm bushings in polyurethane; if you go the poly route, grab the Black Graphite b/c they self lube unlike red poly.