Contemplating a tahoe build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been tossing around the idea of a SAS tahoe build. Found a 99 locally with a split transfer case and some rust but not all that much.

Thoughts are going with a 5.3 swap in the future. It has the 4L60 now and god know what engine. I think it is just a junkyard 350.

I was going to swap the busted case with a np241 to get it back on the road then work from there.

Are there any gotchas with a 5.3 swap into this 99? would it need stand alone computers for engine/ tranny? I am trying to research the swap but am not coming up with much on where to get a harness or how the tranny would work with the 5.3. I have done swaps and a lot of fabbing in the past. Carb to efi, cage building, frame work etc but nothing in a chevy. So have some knowledge and experience just not with chevys.

Thanks for any help.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to actually use it of road, ditch the 4l60e in favor of a 4l80e or nv4500. As far as the engine swap goes, head over to the lsx swap area, there's a lot of info over there.