Constant Brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '98 Sierra x cab that has had constant brake issues and according to everyone all is ok. the brake pedal is crap. goes down to the ABS kick in point. I have changed to the newer mast cyl(Gm new), all new stainless steel lines, 95 Tahoe diesel calipers, braided ft hoses, new ft wheel bearings, all new brakes otherwise. I even got one of the Phoenix Systems reverse brake bleeders and did a reverse brake bleed. still have brakes that go to the floor. everything has been bled properly.

any ideas would be appreciated.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are your rear brakes??? Are the wheel cylinders new? Did you adjust the rears (via the adjuster) till the drums "just" start to drag?

sent from what use to be a great country...

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all brakes are new(pads, rotors, shoes, drums, spring kit, adj kit) they are adjusted. wheel cylinders have been replaced in the past, no leaks anywhere.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has the ABS been bled with a scanner? There's an automated bleed procedure that cycles the internal valves to purge the air. You then bleed from the cylinders and calipers like normal.

Last edited:

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I would think that if the ABS activates when you push the pedal and you're not sliding, then there is an issue with the ABS system, and since its not the bearings and you are having other brake issues, I bet there is something going on internally to the ABS unit.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I called SSBC yesterday and they said to reverse the brake lines. the way myself and a lot of us who have performed the NBS swap have done it wrong. the way we have set it up there is too much pressure going to the rear brakes and not enough to the front. this probably explains why I have no ABS pulsation. theres not enough pressure. I swapped lines and I felt the difference already. I have an appt with my local chevy dealer tomorrow to bleed the brakes and abs unit. normally I use a friend to do the repair but he is over 40 miles away and the chevy dealer is 3 miles away.

I have already replaced the abs unit.