Considerations For Fitting 35s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccox

Reaction score
First Post! Hello, I recently purchased a 95 K1500 ECSB. The pinion was destroyed so I pulled a Suburban axle at a jy and swapped that in with a 2" block lift. I'm coming from lifting Xterra's and there is a ton you have to do to fit 35s. I am considering putting 35s on my truck, but was curious what else needs to be done. I'm planning on doing a 3" body lift, but what other considerations do I need to make besides the tire size/rim width? Does there need to be any steering upgrades? Regearing? Brake upgrades? Engine upgrades?

I love how the 35s look, but I will probably go with 33s if it gets to be too much work.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section or this has been covered. I searched and couldn't seem to find anything.

ryandrews123

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can run 35s if you add a body lift and keep the 2" block. you will need to crank the torsion bars a little bit. I'm running that same set up with no rubbing or issues at all.

ccox

Reaction score
I know that they'll fit. My question more of are there any other things that need to be beefed up to handle the added stress of 35s. I haven't seen really anything where people have said parts have worn out which I'm hoping is the case.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
What gear ratio Do you have? That is going to be the biggest factor. They can definitely be made to fit, weather it will like to turn them or not is the biggest question. Big tires and numerically low gear ratio is a killer in auto transmissions. Props to you got thinking about brakes when going with bigger tires. They are definitely more to stop. The only real upgrade for a stronger suspension is a solid axle swap :lol:. That being said, many run 35s. It really depends on your wants, needs and budget. You'll be fine with a body lift and some cranking. Just keep up maintenance and replace worn parts.

ccox

Reaction score
The gearing is 3.73. As much as I would love to SAS, I can't justify the cost. I figured the gearing might be a problem though.

I also thought for sure steering components wouldn't be able to handle them. Coming from an Xterra, just to run 33s I had to replace just about my entire steering setup.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You will be fine. I ran 35s on my 1/2 ton with 3.73 gears for years. No lift at all, only cranked to level, and on stock wheels. Only things i tore up was the 4l60e trans and 10 bolt rearend (both on account of my lead foot and a peppy vortec motor)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Steering needs nothing tons of people run 35s. Me included. Slap um on