Complete intercooled vortec Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not bad. We paid the same for a 454 TBI Whipple, not intercooled. Came with most of the parts, but had to improvise all over the place, especially with the fuel system.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Sure, the intercooler helps with IAT's, but Whipples don't need intercoolers. Because they compress the air inside the actual supercharger housing, rather than the intake, it keeps IAT's relatively low and also lowers the risk of detonation (which is another reason for adding intercoolers for forced induction).

Oh, and I paid $1.5k for mine. But I also had to buy fuel lines from Summit, so that brought the total installed cost up a little bit.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Brian, does your SC ever get REALLY cold? Towards the rear of the housing, even a few inches forward of the throttle body, the Whipple actually gets ice cold to the touch and starts a layer of condensation. Kinda proved to me that an intercooling system isn't really necessary on a DD haha.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Showed this to my boss. He is in contact with the seller and will probably buy it. It's for his no BS 32K mile '98 ECSB C1500.

Guess who gets to help install it :)

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Showed this to my boss. He is in contact with the seller and will probably buy it. It's for his no BS 32K mile '98 ECSB C1500.

Guess who gets to help install it :)

Can I get a 5% finders fee? :rofl:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Brian, does your SC ever get REALLY cold? Towards the rear of the housing, even a few inches forward of the throttle body, the Whipple actually gets ice cold to the touch and starts a layer of condensation. Kinda proved to me that an intercooling system isn't really necessary on a DD haha.

Well, I'm not sure about the one you set up, but mine is actually "intercooled" by the radiator.

In this picture, look right at the outside of the "elbow" for the air intake. See that fat rubber hose (right by the A/C compressor lines)? That runs from the heater core in the firewall up to the pass. side of the whipple at the back by the throttle body.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then another hose connects to the other side of the Whipple (once again, the fat one) that passes right by the alternator and goes to the water pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, if you've ever felt your throttle body after running your truck, it's cold. I think this has to do with vacuum and fuel atomization, but not 100% sure. The SC housing itself is usually a little warm, not too hot to touch, but noticeably warm, but I've never checked back by the throttle body. I'll have to do that some time.