Complete antenna + wire replacement - any advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I rock out on weekends, which justifies the investment in stereo/amp/sub/speakers - but during the week I listen to AM radio. I'm old, or lame, or both, I can deal with that.

But the aftermarket radio plug needs a converter for the smaller OEM plug and generally sucks. I've gone through a few different products, they all suck, or my antenna wiring sucks altogether, who knows.

It looks like a complete mess to rewire a new antenna with the right plug from the fender back to the radio, getting a direct connection. It's in the fender, and up under the dash above the heater box. Not fun.

I'm hoping there is a better way. I hate the idea of running a separate antenna somewhere (possibly a "fin" on the roof somewhere) and then having a dead antenna up front...

Any thoughts, or has anyone done this and can tell me that it isn't a dash-pull type of job?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much help this will be, but will tell you what I saw of the antenna when replacing the dash in my 98 K1500.

There were three clips in the cab...one on the HVAC evaporator core/heater box, one on the bare metal round support tube behind the glovebox and one on the ductwork roughly above the cigarette lighter/power outlets. I would *guess* that the clips on the heater box and support tube are accessible without pulling the dash, but would think that the clip attached to the duct is not. Here are pictures from my 98, would guess that they're similar to your 95.

If you can fish a new line into the radio cavity, you may be able to just abandon the OEM antenna in place. Getting to the grommet in the firewall was easy enough on my 350--just pull the radiator overflow tank out. Your 454 may be similar.

Hope this helps, good luck.

1. White clip that attaches to the HVAC box. The ductwork has been removed in this picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Clip attached to support bar behind the glovebox. The ductwork has been removed in this picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Clip attached to ductwork. The passenger airbag is to the left. The orange wires at the bottom are for the power outlets.

4. Viewed from the passenger side, here is the clip attached to HVAC box. The dash is still in the truck but rolled down.

5. Here is the antenna as it goes under the wiring harness and runs through the radio opening.

Last edited: