coil relocation on tbi trucks, anyone do it or have pics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I've been trying to convert my 88 tbi truck to open element and the only thing holding me up is the coil hitting the base, so I want to relocate it somewhere else. Anyone ever do this or know of a good place? I can figure it out later when I get more time, but just wondering if anyone had ideas or pics?

Does it have to stay engine mounted for ground or anything?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
my 4.3L Performer intake had a spot that for it that was relocated. i think you would be fine making a bracket and screwing it to the firewall.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree, but while I'm at it I think I'll try to hide it somewheres to clean things up a bit.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea that's what I was thinking too, less wire and plus the factory wires are only so long, and I figure the coil wire to dist, should be short.

I kind of had an idea of makeing it lay down more instead of stand up, or move it further back and use the intake bolt or something to bolt it down maybe, if there's enough room. Maybe move it to the other side and make it lay down not sure.

92SAS

Reaction score
Use an air cleaner with a flat base and it will clear. Or use a 1" spacer for the air cleaner and it will clear.
With the air cleaner on you can't see it any way.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
uummm no.

I have a raised base which means it's not flat, it's raised upwards 3/4 of an inch, not dropped, raised and it doesn't clear. Yes I can use a spacer but why pay more money for the stupid thing? I can reuse my factory tbi if I wanted but I need a longer stud is all. I wantedto remove that ring to allow better airflow to the injectors and not cram it back up by adding spacers.

The other base I had which was a drop base would not clear with the factory tbi ring and it's bigger then the 1 inch spacer. So whoever you got your info from unless you are talking using those with the tbi ring, isn't right, at least not for me because it doesn't clear.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i would just make a little bracket off the intake bolt. heres what my 4.3L Edelbrock intake had it, but it was made right into the intake.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea I can figure something out just need a chance to work on it, maybe tomorrow or so if it's not so windy.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found a great place for mine, had a 10mm bolt in the firewall, used it.

You must be registered for see images attach