Code 42 HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello i have a 1994 suburban 350 tbi 4l60e 3.73 and i just did a complete ignition system tune up (Plugs,Wires,Coil,Brand New Distributor includeing cap and rotor) afterwards i set the timing but forgot to disconect the set timing wire under the dash, once i set the timing the check engine light came on so i checked it and it gave code 42 and its missing slightly (has been missing since before i replaced anything) its very slight and only noticeable at idle any idea what this could be

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK since it wasn't too clear from your post, you have gone back and set the timing correctly, right? Engine warmed up, disconnect timing wire, set timing to zero degrees, snug distributor back down, re-check timing, reconnect timing wire and notice that it advances at least 12-14 degrees (or more depending on idle speed)?

Slight miss was there before you did the work? Have you done a compression test to gauge the overall health of the engine?

Richard

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i have gone back and set the timing correctly but i set it a 4 degrees btc because it likes to idle better their, what would the code 42 be, the engine is in decent condition it has 326000 miles and the origional owner said it had not been driven in 5 years it smoked a little when we first got it when it was cold but that has quit now that its seeing daily use

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for your help solved the problem my self by putting the old dizzy back in apparently a old rusty delco distributor with 326000 miles on it and a half inch of vertical play in the shaft works better than a brand new duralast distributor