Code 32 egr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 C1500 got a code 32. Replaced egr valve and I’m still getting the cel. What else is there to look for?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you replaced the valve did you hook up the vacuum line correctly to the EGR solenoid? There are 2 ports on it 1 is for venting (leave it open), the other is for the EGR valve (where the hose goes). I hooked it up reversed and while cruising above 45MPH when the EGR turns on, it started surging and threw the code. I don't know if this is your issue but, it worked for me.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you replaced the valve did you hook up the vacuum line correctly to the EGR solenoid? There are 2 ports on it 1 is for venting (leave it open), the other is for the EGR valve (where the hose goes). I hooked it up reversed and while cruising above 45MPH when the EGR turns on, it started surging and threw the code. I don't know if this is your issue but, it worked for me.
No not the case. Just double checked the vacuum lines

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What Schurkey said.
But my Firebird once threw that code, turned out that the intake manifold's EGR passage was all plugged up with schmutz. And yep, it only came on above 50mph or so. Dad never spent much time at operating temp or on the highway with it I suppose. Once the manifold was replaced with Edelbrock's 3704 TBI performer unit, that code never came back.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Schurkey said.
But my Firebird once threw that code, turned out that the intake manifold's EGR passage was all plugged up with schmutz. And yep, it only came on above 50mph or so. Dad never spent much time at operating temp or on the highway with it I suppose. Once the manifold was replaced with Edelbrock's 3704 TBI performer unit, that code never came back.
I figured this was the case. Read somewhere to use some seafoam. Did just that and it hasn’t come on anymore. It also only came on above 45mph

Garciuh

Reaction score
I figured this was the case. Read somewhere to use some seafoam. Did just that and it hasn’t come on anymore. It also only came on above 45mph
Sorry for replying to an old post. But where do i put the seafoam, I'm having the same problem with the code popping back up after installing a mew ac delco unit

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI or @DerekTheGreat may be able to help
Hi there! ha ha.
I've seen where the passageways in the intake get so bad, the best way to clean them out is remove the intake manifold and scrape them out.

The ports (blue arrows) go up to the EGR base, they're blocked off when the manifold is in place. The port (red arrow) is where the exhaust gasses pass through from the head to the EGR valve which, when commanded to open, allows gasses into the intake air/fuel stream.

You must be registered for see images attach
Inspect and clean as needed. There may be other conditions causing your MALF code. Do this as a last resort. YMMV

IDK you may be able to get by with some additives like Seafoam. I just haven't used it. Maybe @DerekTheGreat can help you there.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only code my 95 GMC has ever shown was code 32. Lots of folks on the interweb said "only get the GM EGR valve, not the ones from the parts store". So I did. 200 bucks from GM. Still had a code 32. Turns out the new GM EGR was bad too. Dealership charged me 200 bucks to determine that the new EGR valve they sold me was bad. They were going to charge me another 100 bucks to install the new new EGR valve. I laughed. ( I already had a 1/2" wrench and 10 spare minutes). No problems since.