Code 32 egr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they did the work replacing the part with the GM part, they should have diagnosed and replaced it for free. Even if they sold you the part and you replaced it, understand that you can raise a stink with the service manager when something like that happens and get them to comp you some of that $200(!) diagnosis.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 C1500 got a code 32. Replaced egr valve and I’m still getting the cel. What else is there to look for?
Had the same code 32 when I got my 91 TBI. Replaced EGR with ACDELCO cause it was shot, diaphragm was cracked. Still had code 32. Turned out my solenoid nipple was cracked aswell. Replaced that and no issues since. It was like $15 at o-o-o..oreiley's.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they did the work replacing the part with the GM part, they should have diagnosed and replaced it for free. Even if they sold you the part and you replaced it, understand that you can raise a stink with the service manager when something like that happens and get them to comp you some of that $200(!) diagnosis.

That's true. This happened about 5 years ago. I live in a small town. I know several of the people who work at the dealership. They support my business. Its one of those situations where losing my cool is not really an option as I will look like a jacka$$ and probably lose some future business. In fact, the guy who worked on my truck is into repairing vacuum tube amplifiers, which is one of my hobbies as well. Sometimes you just have to eat it for the good of the small town community.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only code my 95 GMC has ever shown was code 32. Lots of folks on the interweb said "only get the GM EGR valve, not the ones from the parts store". So I did. 200 bucks from GM. Still had a code 32. Turns out the new GM EGR was bad too. Dealership charged me 200 bucks to determine that the new EGR valve they sold me was bad. They were going to charge me another 100 bucks to install the new new EGR valve. I laughed. ( I already had a 1/2" wrench and 10 spare minutes). No problems since.
2 Dorman egr valves never cleared my code 32. I even had pinging. I ended up buying a NOS one online for $50. Been good ever since.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What PlayingWithTBI said. Seems a lot of you fine folks got away with swapping out the EGR valve. I was not so lucky with my Fireturd- the EGR passages were full of cookies.

Since aftermarket part quality sucks, either bench test the "new" valve to ensure it holds vacuum for a while and then test the line supplying it. Try a treasure yard too- I try and hoard OEM parts whenever I have the time and thought to nab them.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Sorry for replying to an old post. But where do i put the seafoam, I'm having the same problem with the code popping back up after installing a mew ac delco unit

In the gas tank or in the oil. Do not put the stuff down a vacuum line like the dummies on YouTube do. All that makes for is a smoke show due to the oils inherently in the formula of Seafoam. However, it works great at freeing up sticky lifters and perhaps makes for a good fuel infector cleaner. I've always used BG44K for that though.

Garciuh

Reaction score
In the gas tank or in the oil. Do not put the stuff down a vacuum line like the dummies on YouTube do. All that makes for is a smoke show due to the oils inherently in the formula of Seafoam. However, it works great at freeing up sticky lifters and perhaps makes for a good fuel infector cleaner. I've always used BG44K for that though.
I run it through my oil before every oil change, and usually put some into my fuel once a month, so i guess I'll remove the part and try to clean up more and hopefully the code will go away.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seafoam specifically intends their product to be slurped into the intake manifold. They claim it "melts" accumulated deposits in the manifold, and "cleans" the ports 'n' valves. They used to recommend 1/3 of the container in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and the remaining third in the intake manifold. But I don't see that on their web site now. I think they quit suggesting the third-of-a-can slurped into the manifold when they started selling more-expensive aerosol cans.

One of their products is an aerosol version with an extended "straw" designed to be sprayed past the throttle body and into the deep reaches of the manifold.
seafoamworks.com/product/sea-foam-spray-intake-valve-top-engine-cleaner/

Me? I quit buying Seafoam for "cleaning" a long time ago. I might be willing to use it as a fuel stabilizer, though.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Market-whank-a-teering at it's finest. I was always skeptical of Seafoam, then I watched videos where people borescoped cylinders before and after. Most of them were all like, "Oh my gawd! Wow! It cleaned so much!" But the reality was the results were marginal, no measurable change- water would work better. Just a smoke show. But yeah, I've got no qualms about putting it in my fuel.

I wouldn't run seafoam through my oil at every oil change, just initially if I've got valvetrain noise to see if it helps.