Clutch help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loyal1975

Reaction score
I'm new here but I've been lurking awhile. I have a 1994 k1500 4x4 with 350 and nv4500.

I got the truck as a project. The engine was bad so I put a new gm crate engine in it. The clutch looked almost new. The engine runs great and I drove it around for about 200 miles before I noticed 2nd gear was hard to find. Not that it wasn't there but it just ground the gears. I got it home and pulling into the drive the clutch pedal had some resistance about 3/4 depressed.

So here's what's going on now. It shifts into gear just fine if the pedal is only depressed 1/2 to 3/4 down. Fully depressed and it just grinds. I haven't replaced anything yet. Just wanting to get some insight as to what it may be. I'm thinking maybe the clutch fork, throwout bearing, master cylinder/ slave. I'd like to get a better idea before I take the transmission down to get at the fork. Any help would be appreciated!

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
For what it's worth...

When the clutch release fork failed on my S10 (4.3 with a T5) the pedal still felt fine, but it was extremely difficult to force the shifter into gear. If you're saying the clutch pedal feel is off, that leads me to believe it's a hydraulic issue (master/slave) but a failed fork could have different symptoms, I'm really not sure.

Reaction score
Did you verify the clutch was correct (all matching components) and it was installed correctly? If it shifts fine when only depressed halfway besides the previously mentioned components it could be the fingers on the pressure plate are contacting the sprung hub causing it to spin up and essentially reengage. Your best bet though would be getting a friend to press the pedal with the truck off while you peek through the transmission somewhere and try to watch the clutch move, see if it is moving correctly or if it starts to go backwards when the clutch is pressed past halfway.

Loyal1975

Reaction score
Update! So I took the transmission out, transfer case, etc. The clutch fork was fine but I replaced it anyways. The problem was with the clutch fork pivot ball. There is a little needle type thing on top of it that had broken off. This needle thing fits in a slot on the clutch fork and so the fork wasn't staying on the pivot ball. All fixed. Thanks for the help guys!