chevy steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
Hello i have a 98 chevy 1500 2wd 8 or 9in lifted on 35s
Now my issue is the steering wheel has so much play i have to turn the wheel a good bit to the right to drive streight and if i let go well we are in for a ride to the left. Now iv heard it can be the gear box or such but what would u good people think twords that issue i could make a video as well if needed.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
The tie rods are replaced and my other question is im not to familer with front ends could u point to where i have to look and how to check. And how can i check the gear box i can live with a pull but the steering is scary

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lift the front end up and see if you have any play in the tires horizontally. Like grab the tire at 9 o'clock and 3 oclock and see if you have any play. Also, open the hood, grab your steering shaft and see if there is any rotational and up and down play in it. As for the steering box, see if you can get an overhaul kit for it, depending on the mileage and you having bigger tires, might not be a bad idea to overhaul it anyways.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck used to do this same thing after a shop replaced my pitman arm, a new alignment and it's all better, steering play and all

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Center link on 2wd are common. If all the rod ends are new, replace the center link. If it has never been done before then it will be a PITA. Sloppy steering is ridiculously common in 2wd and IFS GM trucks. It was right at the time for me to rebuild my front end again so that, along with some other reasons, prompted me to suck it up and go with an ORU SAS. While you are at it check/re-grease or replace the wheel bearings and grease the front end. It helps a lot. What kind of A arms are you running?

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
Um im not for sure the stats but its the fabtech kit. The guy i got it from installed it

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
I do not know if u fellas know of any where that sells a gear box over haul kit but i can not find one summit, napa, autozone, jcwhitney,jegs none of them carry it. And a new one is around 699.00-400.00