cheep brake upgrades ????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know someone who did the MC up grade on a 1990, so I would think it would work on any GMT 400 1988 up.

Kemit

Reaction score
Hmmm. I installed an nbs master on my 98 burb K1500 with the 11" rear brakes. Truthfully, I didn't like it. The rear brakes always engaged first and the pedal was really hard. While a firm pedal sounds nice, it was much harder to push and didn't feel right. I put the old mc back on. Since I now own the new mc, I may try it again with some 1 ton calipers at some point although ultimately I would like to go to the new 13" rotors and dual piston calipers by installing a gmt800 knuckle.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I have a 95 , with baer big 13 inch brakes and updated the rear from a 10 bolt to a 14 bolt...your saying if I change the mc out with a nbs mc it will be much better

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes 2002 ~1500 MC just be sure it is the larger MC, and you need an adaptor for the front line. The 02 MC puts out a lot better pressure.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might want to install a proportioning valve as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still haven't done mine yet, so I don't have the a number for the reducer bushing, and ABS won't matter, it is just the MC you are changing, giving you better pressure ( a harder peddle or less mushy brakes) The GMT 800 trucks also have ABS.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Hmmm. I installed an nbs master on my 98 burb K1500 with the 11" rear brakes. Truthfully, I didn't like it. The rear brakes always engaged first and the pedal was really hard. While a firm pedal sounds nice, it was much harder to push and didn't feel right. I put the old mc back on. Since I now own the new mc, I may try it again with some 1 ton calipers at some point although ultimately I would like to go to the new 13" rotors and dual piston calipers by installing a gmt800 knuckle.

I wonder if I'd have a similar issue with my 99 k2500 burb?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I finally did the swap on Friday. I'm happy with it, its Much better.