Cheap tonneau cover for security, not water proof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmath

Reaction score
Made a cheap tonneau cover to keep prying eyes out of my truck bed. Took 2x pieces of unit strut & 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood. I wanted something that gave me full use of the bed and I was on a budget so fold/roll up units would not work. It is quite sturdy & I can stand on it no problem.
Major issue was the fact that the bed is tampered from back to front (for fuel economy as we all know) so I had to install 2x unistrut washers on each side.
Now that its done I am gonna remove to paint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tmath

Reaction score
Thx for the + feed back guys. Felt lame posting this as I spend lots of time on hear looking @ all the work that guys put in doing amazing back yard warrior stuff to there trucks (rebuilding transmissions, body work, etc) when all I am doing is posting some plywood.

As to re/re its 2 sheets 1 X 48x61 the other is 28x48. I am thinking of adding some reccessed D rings as well. Day to day the truck bed is empty so these will sit in the garage most of the time. Just handy if I have to use to truck to transport something and I have to leave the truck unattended (would not leave gold back there but maybe some tools or parts). Diffidently not recommended for every day use as the big piece is a little cumbersome to deal with. After doing it I think it may have been better to make them both 38 inches as it would be easier to deal with (in my mind I was thinking the having the back piece only 28 inches would be handier).

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it was mine, I would coat it with bed liner. I sold a Leer camper top that was given to me, a few weeks ago. The guy who bought it, had a cover that folded up, and was covered with black vinyl. He held it in place with some screws that pulled a clip against the bed rails. It took him about 1 min, to remove the cover. It fit into his bed all folded up. It was slick.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like your post. The thing about a forum, is to get ideas and to look at things you want to do to your truck.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, the 3ed door is nice. I use mine all the time.