charging issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slap

Reaction score
OK, i have 12 volts at my battery before I start it; 11.8 volts after I start it. My battery light some time comes on.

I tried a new (NOT a reman) alternator, same issue. All my pulleys are on tight, my alternator is not loose. I had my battery tested at O'Reilys and they said it was good, just needed a charge. Put the battery on a trickle charger for 10 hours, the issue remains.

On a likely unrelated issue (or at least I think they are unrelated) my parking brake light and ABS light seem to always blink on and off at random times while driving. I pulled the cruise control fuse and that stopped.

What should I look at next?

(my truck is a 97 5.7 Vortec)

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where the wire bolts onto the alt make sure you have power there will not charge if no power to the unit

slap

Reaction score
from the back of the alternator to the negative post of the batter I only have 3.2 volts, with either alternator, this one or the previous one.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's not enough voltage to to make the alt work, you can either trace the wire back and find where you are loseing power at or since it is hot all the time anyhow run a wire from the positive side of the battery right to the alt, if you do that i would put a peice of fuseible link wire in it, any good parts store will know what that is to help you. the idea of that is if you get a short the wire will fail and not catch the truck on fire, like a fuse but in wire form

slap

Reaction score
Check your grounds. Do 'The Big Three'.

That did it, the end of my negative cable was oily and gunky. Cleaned all of them up and jumped it to find 14 volts on my gauge!

Thanks a bunch for the advice.