changing out a radiator tranny fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the radiator is shot in my truck and it has the built in trans cooler. when i do the radiator im gona also do the leaking tranny cooler lines going to the radiator. am i gona loose a lot of tranny fluid? can i just top it off? or do i have to do the whole tranny fluid flush and exchange?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Prime opportunity to flush your tranny.

True, but i would not suggest this. I have seen 2 perfectly good transmissions go out after a fluid change (one of them was mine). I will NEVER change the transmission fluid in anything i own for no reason again. I have no idea why this happens, but it can. It'll run fine for a couple of days, then BAM!!! it stops pulling, clutches are toast, and new fluid is burned. Some folks change it and don't have a problem, but i am not lucky enough to be one of those people.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not changing your trans fluid and filter is as smart as not changing your engine oil, its common maintenance.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats what worries me. some people say change it your self some people say never change it some say only take it to a shop and hook it up the the machine sucks it out as it pumps it in.