Changing an automatic to manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
How hard would it be to put a NV4500 in replacement for my 4l60e? Is it just cut a hole in the floor, make a new crossmember, get a new pedal, and get a master cylinder, or is there more to it?

ATC200S1984

Reaction score
2wd or 4wd? i wouldn't do it unless i had a complete parts truck, there's plenty of information on this site to do it. I changed my 93 from 4.3 auto to a 350 5speed. it was easiest to change the complete wiring harnesses, and having the same year truck as engine also makes it easier, the main parts needed, are, tranny, clutch, flywheel, master/slave cylinder and line, cross member, longer drive shaft, **** boot, shifter, clutch pedal and bracket, my 93 didn't have the mount welded in, steering column is nice to have, neutral safety switch, reverse light pig tail. that's why I'm glad i had a parts truck, over all it is very doable, and makes driving more fun took me a week, of working on it after school and two weekends, but i changed the engine as well. depending on your ability's I'd go for it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What do I need wiring for?

LonH

Reaction score
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but when swapping to a manual or just replacing the master cylinders, you will need to use a vacume bleeder. I have replaced every component in my clutch system from the master cylinder the hose and slave cylinderr. Without the bleeder you probably wont get any pedal feel. With a bleeder it still took about an hour to get the system bled.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but when swapping to a manual or just replacing the master cylinders, you will need to use a vacume bleeder. I have replaced every component in my clutch system from the master cylinder the hose and slave cylinderr. Without the bleeder you probably wont get any pedal feel. With a bleeder it still took about an hour to get the system bled.

I've never needed a vacuum bleeder...never had a problem bleeding the system with multiple slave cylinders. maybe its different on a 5 speed, but its been pretty easy on the T56.

ATC200S1984

Reaction score
i never used a bleeder neither, just make sure u have the slave sitting on the clutch fork right or you will never get the right pedal feel.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm still not understanding what wiring I need to change. Sorry I'm kind of a noob to this. My truck is all power and the donor truck is fleet model so I'm not sure if just switching the whole harness would work. :uhoh2:

nokian

Reaction score
Wiring includes but may not be limited to reverse lights switch, neutral safety start switch (so you have to have the clutch in to start the thing) and you trucks computer. As mentioned before, some guys will replace their trucks wiring harness and computer for one from a truck that is setup for a standard. Some guys just have the chip sent away to get it reprogrammed to work with a manual tranny so that they dont get the dreaded check engine light.