Carb swapped truck, Code 34, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pics of regulator? Sounds like deadhead style.

Getting the choke working properly will go a long way towards good cold start behavior.

Richard

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics of regulator? Sounds like deadhead style.

Getting the choke working properly will go a long way towards good cold start behavior.

Richard
Yup. And if it is it'll slowly kill the pump and the pump can over power that regulator.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. I tried a deadhead before I came to my senses and installed a Sniper. If it looks messy, it was just a trial with the regulator and plumbing off my Jaguar.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single inlet, single outlet. That's a deadhead regulator. If the fuel pump doesn't have an internal bypass, it will either overpower the regulator and cram a higher pressure into the carburetor, or it will stall the pump and burn it up. Or both.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost seen an S10 get burned to the ground with that style regulator with a TBI pump.

It was like a fountain coming out the top of the carb. Fuel was bubbling and sizzling all over that engine.

For the record wasn't my truck wasn't my work

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric choke is not wired up.
No wonder it doesn't start properly.

When you do get time to route some wires, doing this right means:
1. Select a power source that's hot ONLY with the key in the "Run" position. NOT hot in "Accessory", "Off--locked", "Off", or "Crank".

You don't want the choke to heat when the engine is off, or when cranking. You want the choke to heat ONLY when the key is in the "Run" position.

2. Route the power through a normally-open oil pressure switch. These switches typically have three terminals--one to power the dash warning light, and two as a pass-through (power in--power out) for the choke when the switch has oil pressure. You don't want the choke to heat if the engine stalls even if the key is in "Run". For example, you start the car in the dead of winter, then let it "warm up" while you go inside for another cuppa coffee. Engine stalls--choke needs to not be heating so when you get back outside, it's closed enough to re-start.

Remember that the choke coil is adjusted so that the choke OPENS properly, DO NOT ADJUST IT BASED ON HOW IT CLOSES.

The Choke Pulloff is the most-commonly misadjusted part of the choke system. Folks will endlessly piss 'n' moan over the choke coil adjustment, turning it richer/leaner/richer/leaner; when the real trouble is the choke pulloff.

Kpawl89

Reaction score
No wonder it doesn't start properly.

When you do get time to route some wires, doing this right means:
1. Select a power source that's hot ONLY with the key in the "Run" position. NOT hot in "Accessory", "Off--locked", "Off", or "Crank".

You don't want the choke to heat when the engine is off, or when cranking. You want the choke to heat ONLY when the key is in the "Run" position.

2. Route the power through a normally-open oil pressure switch. These switches typically have three terminals--one to power the dash warning light, and two as a pass-through (power in--power out) for the choke when the switch has oil pressure. You don't want the choke to heat if the engine stalls even if the key is in "Run". For example, you start the car in the dead of winter, then let it "warm up" while you go inside for another cuppa coffee. Engine stalls--choke needs to not be heating so when you get back outside, it's closed enough to re-start.

Remember that the choke coil is adjusted so that the choke OPENS properly, DO NOT ADJUST IT BASED ON HOW IT CLOSES.

The Choke Pulloff is the most-commonly misadjusted part of the choke system. Folks will endlessly piss 'n' moan over the choke coil adjustment, turning it richer/leaner/richer/leaner; when the real trouble is the choke pulloff.
1. I wired it to the windshield washer motor white wire, as some research said was a decent idea.

2. I have no clue what any of this oil pressure switch stuff means

I was going to run power to ignition in the fuse box, but the fuses that are empty don’t have any metal in them.