Carb swapped truck, Code 34, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpawl89

Reaction score
1988 GMC C1500, bought it from a redneck who did redneck things. Carb swapped to an edelbrock 1406 (not me). Finally checked the code and says code 34. Everything I researched said it’s the MAP SENSOR. I found these two going to nothing, I’m assuming it’s for where the MAP use to be? I have no clue. Where are these suppose to go? There is definitely no map sensor on here anywhere to be found. Thanks!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
MAP sensor not going to be part of the picture on a carb swapped TBI truck. At this point I wonder what purpose your check engine light serves; I'd be tempted to remove the bulb from the dash..

Richard

Kpawl89

Reaction score
MAP sensor not going to be part of the picture on a carb swapped TBI truck. At this point I wonder what purpose your check engine light serves; I'd be tempted to remove the bulb from the dash..

Richard
I just want it to go away!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you put a TBI fuel pump back in the tank and "redneck" didn't add a regulator then that pump will push fuel right past the needle. Could be flooded itself out making it hard to start.

But need more info on hard to start, like is it hard to start just cause it's a cold natured carb?

Possibly choke not set right or at all kinda hard start.

Or flooded cause fuel has filled intake?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Also I've seen in other people's trucks (I've never carb swapped one) that if they cheaped out on the regulator it never works well. A deadhead regulator is attractive because it's cheap; a bypass regulator that sends excess fuel to back to the tank is what you really need. It costs more, but it's the correct setup.

Richard

Kpawl89

Reaction score
If you put a TBI fuel pump back in the tank and "redneck" didn't add a regulator then that pump will push fuel right past the needle. Could be flooded itself out making it hard to start.

But need more info on hard to start, like is it hard to start just cause it's a cold natured carb?

Possibly choke not set right or at all kinda hard start.

Or flooded cause fuel has filled intake?
There is a regulator, just before the carb, it’s set to 5.5. It’s the little silver round dial one.

Electric choke is not wired up. That’s the next thing I’m doing.