Can't loosen distributor clamp bolt HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm trying to pull my distributor out so I can change my oil pressure sender but I can't get the distributor clamp bolt out. At first I couldn't get a wrench on the bolt due to location. Then you fine folks here told me I needed a distributor wrench so I went to auto zone and picked one up and was all excited thinking I was gonna get the sender replaced no problem. Not quite both my dad and I tried wrenching that damn thing off and it's literally on there so ******* tight that it bent the **** out of the cheap ass auto zone distributor wrench. So pretty much I'm at a loss as what to do now to get it out. I'm worried I'm going to end up snapping the bolt head off. Am I gonna end up having to take this thing to a shop to get it done or does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this friggin bolt out. :Angry:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
soak it with penetrating oil over and over, but why yank it to remove the sending unit, you can usually do it with the dist. in place. I've done a few without taking it out, well all of them I've ever done I've not remove the dist. to take it out or put one in.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you seen the location of the oil pressure sending units on these sbc's? They put the damn thing right uunder the dist. I don't really see any other way of doing it. Ill have to try soaking it I'm just so worried about snapping it off.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
soak it with penetrating oil over and over, but why yank it to remove the sending unit, you can usually do it with the dist. in place. I've done a few without taking it out, well all of them I've ever done I've not remove the dist. to take it out or put one in.

Ive replaced mine not to long ago and didnt have to remove the distributor

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please explain to me how. Are you guys just snaking an open end wrench in there? I tried that but I couldn't get one down I there. I'd still like to get that bolt loose so I can set timing if I ever needed to.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes I've seen the oil sender on these sbc's what do you think I was talking about? I only work on chevys and I have 3 of them with small block v8's. I have more experience on a small block chevrolet v8 then anything else.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just confused cuz I can't see how the hell you guys are doing it without removing the distributor. Didn't mean to offend you I just must be retarded because I can't get it.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It can be done without removing the dist., but you can remove it if you want, I have done it both way's. If you want to remove it, get yourself a good quality, ie not Autozone 14mm crow foot wrench for use on a 3/8 drive rachet, then you will have enough torque to break it loose.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't say that about yourself man, if you don't ask questions you don't learn. All of them I've done have just been very careful and slow, snake a open end wrench down, hold wires out of the way with the other hand, remove what you need to gain access, maybe pop the cap and wires off to clean it up, air cleaner out of the way, then go from there. It aint easy, it's time consuming for sure but it works. Now to be fair, the motors I've worked on is an 88 tbi 86 carb, 84 carb, 74 carb, most were carbd but my truck is tbi and it had an adapter fitting back there and a copper line for aftermarket gauge which I remove the adapter fitting and ran the gauge straight to the block.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It can be done without removing the dist., but you can remove it if you want, I have done it both way's. If you want to remove it, get yourself a good quality, ie not Autozone 14mm crow foot wrench for use on a 3/8 drive rachet, then you will have enough torque to break it loose.

Are you sure it's 14mm? everywhere I've read said 9/16" in any event I def think I"m gonna pick up some crowfoot wrenches.