Can my TBI handle a Supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ProCharger is also a good brand, but the main thing that turned me off to them was being centrifugals. Sure, they aren't constant drive (so your engine isn't driving them 100% of the time like whipples are), but that also means they have to spool up. With Whipple, the power is always there, lots of low-end torque. Plus, they don't require an intercooler unless you get up in the 10+ psi range. 8 psi is probably the highest I will ever go anyways.

But it's a matter of opinion. Make sure you do your research. The main brands are Whipple, ProCharger, and Vortech for superchargers for our trucks.

Knowing that I would prefer the Whipple, but I looked it up and could only find a Whipple for 2003-'12 GM trucks. I had the assumption that centrifugals are there 100% of the time. I figured the only difference was that it wasn't manifold mounted, just to the side like a belt accessory. Also I would still use an intercooler, just good insurance like an auto trans cooler. Also for some reason I never cared for Vortech, I hear they're just not as good and cost more from what I've seen.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whipple doesn't make them for the TBI anymore gotta find them used thats why you cant find it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Knowing that I would prefer the Whipple, but I looked it up and could only find a Whipple for 2003-'12 GM trucks. I had the assumption that centrifugals are there 100% of the time. I figured the only difference was that it wasn't manifold mounted, just to the side like a belt accessory. Also I would still use an intercooler, just good insurance like an auto trans cooler. Also for some reason I never cared for Vortech, I hear they're just not as good and cost more from what I've seen.

They're still out there, but it's all a matter of opinion. You can still find them used, but that's taking a chance, because if they need to be repaired or rebuilt, it can get pretty expensive. That being said, I still think they're the best option out there.

However, yes, that is one drawback of the Whipples, you can't add intercoolers. How much is a ProCharger for yours, do you know?

Of course the other option would be to get an LS 6.0 and put a new whipple on that. :evillol:

One of the site's admin did that on his truck. It's stupid fast. haha. Let us know if you ever get one though, I'd be interested to see your build.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're still out there, but it's all a matter of opinion. You can still find them used, but that's taking a chance, because if they need to be repaired or rebuilt, it can get pretty expensive. That being said, I still think they're the best option out there.

However, yes, that is one drawback of the Whipples, you can't add intercoolers. How much is a ProCharger for yours, do you know?

Of course the other option would be to get an LS 6.0 and put a new whipple on that. :evillol:

One of the site's admin did that on his truck. It's stupid fast. haha. Let us know if you ever get one though, I'd be interested to see your build.

I had planned on a ProCharger for my 98 5.7, but if I do that it will be a long ass time from now lol. But, that was before I decided to maybe get an older Chevy as a mud/play truck (73-87). So I doubt I'd put a supercharger on either truck, maybe the play truck if I get one. About getting a used Whipple, if I could find one in good shape then I might, but I don't like getting major parts like that used. My luck I only have it on there for a month and it crap out on me lol. I also had planned on turning the 350 to a 383 stroker. So imagine a 383 stroker with a supercharger as a DD lol. I'd probably rather have a supercharged 383 stroker in a play truck anyways. I know if I do get a play truck that I'll change it to EFI with either aftermarket TBI or replace the intake with an EFI setup. I have a habit if planning things before I even have something. Some things I can't plan for nothing, while when it comes to cars and motorcycles I know exactly what I'd do lol.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I would get a 73-75, but that's because of CA smog laws. How bad is it in your state?

I know what you mean about getting it used. I've had some stuff that I had to resell when I bought it because it didn't work, but I've gotten lucky a few times.

Any idea what it would cost to turn your 5.7 into a 383?

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get a 73-75, but that's because of CA smog laws. How bad is it in your state?

I know what you mean about getting it used. I've had some stuff that I had to resell when I bought it because it didn't work, but I've gotten lucky a few times.

Any idea what it would cost to turn your 5.7 into a 383?

Well I'm in NC and they're not harsh on smog like Cali. The place I go to doesn't check every little thing anyways, just the major things. Not too sure what they do check other than the horn and lights, but once they start I'm out of there in 5 minutes.

Not sure about the 383 stroker. I haven't even looked into it. I know it wouldn't be cheap at all. I watch Powerblock Tv on the weekends and it's actually cheaper to get a new 383 stroker block from Summit Racing than to pay a machine shop to turn a 350 block into a 383 stroker.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I was watching that on powerblock. Depends on the machine shop, condition/price of the core, what stroker kit you go with and where you get it from. Being in Canada, shipping is horrendous for anything that weighs that much! LOL

How I know? Currently building a 383 for my Camaro, from an 89 Chevy 1/2 ton XD

BTW I'd LOVE to supercharge my 5.7 in big blue, will be anxiously waiting to see how this goes!