Cam/lifter/pushrods Gen VI 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been working on my 96 K2500 Suburban for a year now off and on. One thing has led to another with the engine..it was missing, got that fixed then noticed the engine was wobbling. Found out the crank pulley was out of round where it goes on the crank snout. The balancer was in equally bad condition so I decided it needed replacing as well. I figured since I'm in it this far I might as well replace the lower intake gaskets and since I'm already there..new injectors couldn't hurt and hey..why not throw in a new distributor too.

I yank the dizzy and break out my endoscope and shove it in the hole the distributor used to live in. The cam gear looks pretty worn and maybe chipped. After all that, my question is when I replace the cam, will lifters and pushrods need to be replaced also? I'm going with a stock cam, this will (hopefully) be a daily driver. Seems like when I get one problem fixed, two new ones pop up.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lifters and pushrods can be reused if they're not damaged. Look for putting on the rollers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going to re-use the lifters, pull them apart ONE AT A TIME to clean out any accumulated sludge inside.

Do NOT mix-and-match the lifter bodies and the lifter plungers. The plungers need to go back into the same lifter body they came out of.