cam for low end torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've searched and I haven't been able to find much of anything. So far all I know is I need to find a came where the power badn starts around 1500rpm and end around 4000rpm. A nice cam and everything I need for the cam install would be helpful.

Constantine

Reaction score
If you're doing this to a vortec then look into this cam.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/14097395/10002/-1

You can go with something like a comp cam k08-300 kit or k08-302 cam kit with 1417-16 or 1617-16 rocker arms.
You can do a Web search for the above part# s and it will bring the kit and arms up.
Although going with comp will cost $1100 +- 200 depending on the rockers and pushrods you choose.

Then you will have to have your PCM tuned.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would the gain be noticeable with the cam from jegs? If its worth it what all would I need for install?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well for starters, you will need a new timing cover, intake manifold gasket kit, some brake clean or other like solvents, engine oil and filter, possibly an egr tube, depending on the shape of yours ( and also proximity to salt ) a water pump gasket set, a stiff nylon brush, lint free wipers, coolant ( I recommend a flush prior to pulling the radiator ) possibly some new rad hoses and a bypass hose, a heater hose disconnect fitting ( or a hose barb and a hose clamp )

Instead of getting new water pump gaskets, I would recommend installing a new pump at the time you do the job, they aren't expensive. Look at the condition of the drive belt prior to pulling it apart, as well as the idler pulley and tensioner pulley.

You will need to mark the position of the rotor as well as the base of the distributor: this is very important prior to removal. Probably not a bad idea to change the valve seals while the engine is open as well.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will the gains be worth all of that? And would I really have to remove the radiator if I'm taking the motor out of the truck?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You can do the work in the truck, provided you pull the radiator. If you were pulling the engine, now you will likely need exhaust studs and a packing kit. ( donuts ) If you leave the engine in the truck, you also don't have to mess with the engine oil cooler lines at the block end, this can be another potential i$$ue when pulling the engine.

Regarding the gains, it would be best to have the computer tuned for optimal results. Other parameters can be altered as well, transmission shifting, etc.

You can easily spend $ 1000+ and be unhappy with the results. YMMV.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright. Well if I get a tune after the can (already planned this anyways) what kind of HP/tq gains are we guesstimating? 10,15?

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to get that cam, as I will be turning my 350 into a 383 stroker, and that cam will be my cam of choice, if I will notice a difference if I put it in the 350 now