Cab Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightyrat

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum here. I have a few questions and was hoping to get some direction. I`m restoring my 95 3/4 ton 4x4. Its a reg. cab long bed. 454 5spd. The cab is repairable but still pretty rough. I have a 2wd, 96 cab that was an auto and a 6.5 diesel that is nearly flawless. What would i run into as far as "road blocks" if i were to switch the cabs? are they even interchangeable from 95 to 96? any help and insite will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Any cab from 88-01(obs) will work, 1/2 3/4 or 1 ton. Only differences are interior and door selections on the extended and crews

You will have the cut a hole in the floor for the gear lever however, just measure your old cab floor for dimensions.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are actually quite a few differences over the years, but swapping a 95 for 96 will be pretty straightforward. About the only issue I can think you might run into will be needing to enlarge the hole on the driver's side of the firewall, where the harness passes through. 95 being a one-year-only harness I can't remember exactly. Also will need to drill a couple holes in that nearby area for the bracket to the airbag module, since 95 mounts it in a weird place on the firewall inside the cab.

If you were using an older cab than 95 you'd have several more things to be concerned with like the steering column support and the passenger A pillar grab handle bracket.

Clutch master cylinder hole gets tricky about 95-96 too as it's quite different and a real PITA to make an older cab work with the newer style master cylinder. Been there, done that.

Richard

mightyrat

Reaction score
ok. Thanks guys. I did some measuring and the floor hump seems to be the same. I hope this works out. Anything with the airconditioning that can cause an issue?