Cab Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1998 2500 had a very unlucky six months . I have decided to rebuild it . I have found a 1997 gmc with excellent bed no rust with a 4.3 ext. cab which is knocking perfect insides no issues other than engine it is a 4x2 . my 1998 2500 is a 5.7liter 8 lug 4x4 ext.cab . I have been told I cannot swap cabs because the floors are too different between A 4x2 and 4x4 . I donot know, never did a swap on a gmt 400 .. Also was told the harnesses cannot be swapped .. I would Like some advice in doing this if anyone has done it...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
From 97 to 98 I don't think there were any differences, other than the shifter hole in the floor.

Why are you swapping harnesses? Do you mean your harness ot the donor cab? Also shouldn't be a real issue.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Yes, you need to run the harness you have now.

I mean, honestly, IDK if a 4.3 harness will run a Vortec 5.7, but I would swap the harnesses lol.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Cut out the floor on your damaged 4x4 cab, use that to mark and cut out the floor on the replacement cab. You will have to pull at least the driver's seat and roll the carpet back and up in order to make room to cut out the floor. Be careful to avoid spraying sparks all over the interior and the glass.