Buying a high mileage 5.7..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minnesotakid!

Reaction score
Hey guys! New here..been looking at buying a high mileage 1996 gmc 1500..I love the truck has hardly any rust and I live in the Midwest so that's hard to find! It has 177,456 Miles's on it..is that too much? What should I look for? Thanks for any help guys!

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was well kept and runs good and is in good shape go for it, ive got 250k plus on my 95 Tahoe got it with I think 220k

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well How bout that. Another Minnesota boy. haha I'm also from Minnesota.
Anyway, High milage is okay if he took care of the vehicle and there are documents to prove it. Even if they aren't it depends on who the person is.
177k is low mileage to me. As long as you can take it for a drive and look really good at it then it should be good.
But I'm gonna tell you now. Engines are easy. Tranmissions are hard. To fix that is. Look at ANY leaks, that might be a problem later on. Also, take a look at the engine oil cooler lines, make sure they aren't leaking. Same goes for the Transmission lines. Look at the color of the oil and whatnot to see if you gotta change it soon. Ask the guy if he has been using synthetic oil or conventional. Always good to know.
Ask him when basic things have been changed out, examples; water pump, serp belt, power steering pump, fluids, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor... etc. Ask him these things and maybe even documentation. I didnt. And I had to change the water pump within a week. Same goes for the power steeing pump and a few sensors.

Also, during the test drive. Before you take off crank up the radio a little. make sure no speakers are blown. But when you are driving it, make sure that radio is off. Listen to every little noise that the truck makes.

just a few things. Always ALWAYS listen to your gut. If for any reason it doesn't feel right. Walk. Cause you can find PLENTY of trucks with low mileage.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure when you do the test drive that is a long one so the engine can get up to operating temp because that is what stuff starts to happen.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Find out if the lower intake manifold gaskets have been changed, common problem on the 5.7. Milkshake colored oil is the tell-tale sign of bad ones.

If you do get the truck post pics!!! I agree its so hard to find a rust free truck here in the Midwest.

Last edited:

Minnesotakid!

Reaction score
Exactly..it's high mileage but it has no rust..which is impossible to find and I can get it for around 3500..needs new tires and some interior work..

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pictures? and 3500 would be steep for that kinda truck around my parts.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
If it's rust free I would jump at it. Engines, transmissions, rear ends etc can be changed. If it's all rusted to hell and the frame breaks, you have a pile of junk in your yard. Rust free trucks are worth repairing.

Aside from that, it's really hard to tell if the motor will last or not. Too many variables. Some blow at 100k others at 500k. Of course the owner isn't going to tell you if they ran it hard, but the main thing I would look at is overall pride of ownership in the vehicle. Very important. If it's filthy, the interior is full of coffee cups, dirt and junk, the air filter is plugged up and the oil filter has surface rust on it, chances are, it hasn't been that well looked after. That's not always the case, but it's a good rule of thumb to go by.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!