bumper, grille, and some trim finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to refinish a couple things on my 96 k1500. mostly the bumper and the grille. it is the WT style so it has the square headlights. I painted the grille black with a glossy clear coat on it and I love the way it looked. however over time its starting to fade and I kind of want to do something different with it to fix where i messed up and to make it look good again.

my truck is green and black and is completly done in durabak bedliner. I am currently in a auto refinishing class for 6 hours a day and have access to the paint booths and equipment for only cost of the material. so I was thinking for my grille and maybe my window wiper arms black with green pearl so that in certain light it would be green but generally black.

my other idea for it is just to use krylon fusion and recoat it with gloss black. what do you guys think?

the other big one I want to refinish is the rear bumper. it has some rust that has started in a couple places, nothing serious yet but the sooner I get it taken care of the better. its just a black bumper. does anyone know what the stock finish is for these bumpers? is it just black paint?

how would a painted bumper hold up to being on a bumper? I dont work my truck to death by any means but I dont want to be worried about stepping on the bumper or anything like that. so I was wondering if something like duplicolor bedliner would go well on the bumper. what do you guys think?? this was taken a while ago but its the best i gave handy.
You must be registered for see images attach

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha that's kinda funny. I guess it's held up this well for 19 years so it would probably hold up well on the bumper again. Anyone have any idea how much a black with green pearl would cost me for the grille? The paint is all waterborne at the school.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the color selection isn't great for off the shelf, but have you looked into plasti-dip for the plastic parts you are looking at refinishing? I've used it here and there on plastic parts and had pretty good luck, and it's also thick enough to hide imperfections, like small chips and divots.