Build a "wiper shaker"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, no more denying it: winter is here.

And yeah, the wipers on the truck are an icy mess too.

The heated wiper fluid is **** it's job well, as is the heated washer nozzles. Spraying just fine even when it is frozen over in freezing rain.

But those bloody wipers just keep building up that ice/slush layer on the rubber holding edge. And I don't buy cheap blades by any stretch of the imagination.

Winter blades work well for the blade supports, but does nothing for that ice buildup on the blades themselves or that one bloody piece of ice that gets trapped under the blade and refuses to go anywhere.

Grrr....I hate trying to reach out and "snapping" my blade when it goes by. Damned dangerous too.

Heated blades might work, but they're not cheap and you have to buy the same ones for replacements. Tear one of have it just wear out and you're going back to the same guys. Not an attractive option in my opinion.

My heated wiper fluid can fix it sometimes, but that just runs me through my fluid faster than necessary. And you need that wiper fluid to just plain see on salted roads in winter, can't afford to waste it.

So I go looking for something else and up pops the "Wipershaker" on Google : http://www.wipershaker.com/product_overview.html

Hmm, seems to make sense. Vibrate the wiper assembly and the ice breaks away. Vibrate it enough and ice stuck under the blade should work it's way out. Not for deicing for sure, but should do away with the reaching out a snapping the blades. Supposed to work for when you get those annoying pine needles and leaves caught under the wiper too.

So. lets see how much they want for a couple.......YEOW! 100-150+ bucks!

Pea-eye-double ess on that!

For a couple 12v motors with an unbalanced weight on the shaft and some wiring? No thank you. I'm all for someone making a fair profit, but damn! There's maybe 20 bucks of stuff in that thing.....

But, I still want 'em.

What to do?

OK, I'll build it myself.

Off to ebay and I grab 2 unbalanced 12v motors for 6 bucks shipped:

You must be registered for see images attach

they sell them as "12v vibrator motors". I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what's inside the "wipershaker's" round black case. Everything seems to come from China these days anyways....

A couple weatherpack connectors, some wiring, a switch and a couple cases/arm mounts and I'll have my own "shakers" for under 20 bucks.

150 bucks.........sheesh.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The motors showed up today, little light on the weights.

Strapped 'em to an old wiper and they made it vibrate, but not "dance".

Looks like I'll be needing to add a little more unbalance to the weight and maybe slow the speed down.

Easy enough: a slug of lead in the brass weight at the right spot and a simple resistor to slow the motor down a bit....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
aha.

2 ohm resistor and a small screwdriver bit get the blade moving just like in the videos.

On our way....:)

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might even have some "parts" from an xbox 360 controller! Definitely interested!

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Hope your project works......

I have always found in the winter, is if I put on blades that are a couple of inches shorter, they tend to get pushed down to the windshield better and dont build up ice so much. You get a bit less windshield cleared, but you can at least see . A bit more tension on the spring doesnt hurt either.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm..... Heated washer fluid and vibrating wipers......
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it gets pretty f'n cold there. Colder than say, the Ga/Fl line?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hmmm..... Heated washer fluid and vibrating wipers......
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it gets pretty f'n cold there. Colder than say, the Ga/Fl line?

You must be registered for see images

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm tired of my crap icing up. I was already looking to invest in some junkyard heated washer nozzles, I have not seen this vibrate method yet. I'm curious to see how well it works with that blasted ice buildup.