Bucking/jerking down the highway??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I halve this issue with my truck where it bucks/jerks for a split second usually going down the highway around 55-75 mph. At a steady rpm/speed. The lights don't flicker either when this happens.

So what do you think my issue is?

(Im thinking plugs and wires, fuel filter, tranny?? U joint, rear end, or something along those lines.)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had this exact same issue. Replaced plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor and ignition coil and all is well. Also cleaned my MAF and replaced the fuel filter as pressure was around 6lbs low but I'm not sure if these were related to the issue, think it was the ignition tune-up that did the trick.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I halve this issue with my truck where it bucks/jerks for a split second usually going down the highway around 55-75 mph. At a steady rpm/speed. The lights don't flicker either when this happens.

So what do you think my issue is?

(Im thinking plugs and wires, fuel filter, tranny?? U joint, rear end, or something along those lines.)

Thanks in advance.

hate to tell you this but this happened to me and the next day i lost 2nd and 4th gear... is there any CEL on? misfire? youd be lucky if there is.. either way a tune up wont hurt, fuel filter 10 bucks, ait filter 20, plugs 40, wires 120 (at least mine were) and your gunna get better economy and just run better for under $200, and its cheaper then a $2000 tranny overhaul

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem around 65-70mpgh. I have a thread on the subject. I had no CEL, but did not know my fuel PSI. I had to buy the actron kit to put the TBI adapter inline. I had good fuel pressue at 29-30psi, my timing was good for my 454 at 10*btdc but I adjusted it to the recommend 4*btdc with no change in the problem. I did a ton of research and was finding ppl saying worn distributor, etc...

I decided to pull my distributor only to find my gear was in great shape. I did however exam the whole dizzy while it was out. End up being a crack in the top of the dizzy under the rotor button. I bought a new dizzy, reset the timing and boom...problem fixed.

sry about the rant but just trying to walk you through how I fixed mine.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I just had this exact same issue. Replaced plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor and ignition coil and all is well. Also cleaned my MAF and replaced the fuel filter as pressure was around 6lbs low but I'm not sure if these were related to the issue, think it was the ignition tune-up that did the trick.

hate to tell you this but this happened to me and the next day i lost 2nd and 4th gear... is there any CEL on? misfire? youd be lucky if there is.. either way a tune up wont hurt, fuel filter 10 bucks, ait filter 20, plugs 40, wires 120 (at least mine were) and your gunna get better economy and just run better for under $200, and its cheaper then a $2000 tranny overhaul

I had this problem around 65-70mpgh. I have a thread on the subject. I had no CEL, but did not know my fuel PSI. I had to buy the actron kit to put the TBI adapter inline. I had good fuel pressue at 29-30psi, my timing was good for my 454 at 10*btdc but I adjusted it to the recommend 4*btdc with no change in the problem. I did a ton of research and was finding ppl saying worn distributor, etc...

I decided to pull my distributor only to find my gear was in great shape. I did however exam the whole dizzy while it was out. End up being a crack in the top of the dizzy under the rotor button. I bought a new dizzy, reset the timing and boom...problem fixed.

sry about the rant but just trying to walk you through how I fixed mine.

Thanks guys for all the advice, I will put a new cap and rotor in, plugs and wires, fuel filter and clean the MAF. I will let you all know how it goes.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem in my 98, I did a full tune up and most of it went away, it was a NV4500 so I wasn't worried it was the trans. Ended up one of my 2 cats was getting clogged up.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice, im pretty sure I figured it out. Its a broken distributer, it wont hold the cap on tight.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Does anyone know where there is a good wright up on replacing a distributer?