Broken valve cover bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After adjusting my #8 cylinder rocker arms to muffle a tapping sound, I managed to snap 1 of my valve cover bolts. It was apparently ready to go, because it didn't take much pressure at all for it to break. Do they make extractors this small? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do from here? It broke about half way down the threads and I don't know what to do about it. I just put a little bit of black rtv under the bolt head to hold it in place until I can figure out a solution.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little tiny left hand drill bit and easy out has always worked for me in such situations.

SpencerSr

Reaction score
X2 on the left drill bits.......but I wouldn't wish the pain from an ez out on my ex-wife. The lefty bit should do the tric but if you break an ez out off in the hole good luck and God speed .

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ditto. no ez out here. those things have cost folks fortunes when they break. so will broken drill bits! so drill straight, slow, and no downward pressure. center punch bolt. drill with left hand bit. go slow speed till you get the feel of keeping center.

lots of times, the drill bit will catch the screw and spin it back out! im guessing the design eliminates the screw from bottoming?