Broken starter boss and an idea... Will it work though?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If its only cracked there on the edge, i'd crank her down and call it good. If the threads themselves are cracked tho, it may break it on off to tighten it up.

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
I tried but think my replacement bolts are too long and using lock washers didn't help either. I will give it a try when the bolt come in later this week and post results.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
this is what you need to strengthen it up its a standard brace came on the older small blocks you can get them thru summit racing

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Since it sounds lke he's dealing with the bolt length issue I'll bet he has the mini starter. No brace with those. You could make one, sure...

Don't use any kind of washers on the bolts. Use only the correct length bolts.

Richard

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
this is what you need to strengthen it up its a standard brace came on the older small blocks you can get them thru summit racing

I saw that on another forum, a mercruiser forum of all places...

Since it sounds lke he's dealing with the bolt length issue I'll bet he has the mini starter. No brace with those. You could make one, sure...

Don't use any kind of washers on the bolts. Use only the correct length bolts.

Richard

Indeed its a L31 and has the mini starter. My ignorance to the specific bolt length has my head hurting :nono: I have ordered the correct 4.33" bolts

It's a vortec more than likely the small starter

:D

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the lower of the two holes on the bracket should be damn close to the mini starter housing bolt I had a mini starter(gear reduction) on my big block in my impala and used a factory brace wish I had pics of it when motor was on stand so you could see how it fit

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
You're not married to that starter. You can use the larger one. I'm running one right now for this very same issue. Your cracks are exactly like mine and no matter how times you reset the starter and "crank it down" it won't stay. Mine would only crank once, shut it off and then just grind. I tried a brand new mini starter that came with new bolts and it did exactly the same thing. I ordered the brace that bulldog showed you from Summit Racing and used a bigger starter and it's working. My engine is 11:1 compression 383. Your engine may crank more than once with stock compression but I wouldn't chance it. You'll be working around hot exhaust in a parking lot somewhere to reset your starter. And that's only if the ear didn't break off completely.

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
You're not married to that starter. You can use the larger one. I'm running one right now for this very same issue. Your cracks are exactly like mine and no matter how times you reset the starter and "crank it down" it won't stay. Mine would only crank once, shut it off and then just grind. I tried a brand new mini starter that came with new bolts and it did exactly the same thing. I ordered the brace that bulldog showed you from Summit Racing and used a bigger starter and it's working. My engine is 11:1 compression 383. Your engine may crank more than once with stock compression but I wouldn't chance it. You'll be working around hot exhaust in a parking lot somewhere to reset your starter. And that's only if the ear didn't break off completely.

Well.. That's something to consider.

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
Parts ****!

You must be registered for see images

The difference in starter bolt length is apparent in this picture and I had attempted to make up the difference with flat/lock washers.

New crank position sensor in place:

Starter bolts swapped and torqued to 35 lb ft

Hooked the jumper cables up to our '05 GT and that's when the problems started. Seemed the bendix gear was very chewed up from the previous hard starting so I brought it back to vatozone where they swapped it out. Lifetime warranty FTW!! Installed that and tried again.

No dice... Since the tank is essentially @ 1/16 and probably more fuel stabilizer than gasoline, lol.. I'm gonna put in a few, fresh gallons later tomorrow and drop in a new battery. I'm optimistic that she's gonna start.