Broken starter bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question: Does the starter on a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 (5.7L 350) have a front bracket?

The story: this past Monday morning I got a call that my son's truck wouldn't start and sparks were coming from beneath the engine. Hurried home and found the starter hanging from the cable and both starter mounting bolts broken off in the engine block, and recessed! (broken off beneath the surface opening >:

I soaked them pretty good in Kroil and waited till Tuesday to drill them out. It took an hour or so but I got them out successfully with a 12" black oxide bit and liberal use of WD-40 after every 5-10 seconds of drilling. Couldn't find the correct replacement bolts locally so I ordered them online, waiting for them now.

My theory is that a previous owner over-torqued the bolts, causing them to eventually break.

Another theory is that this truck should have had a front bracket on the starter, preventing rotational stress on the mounting bolts. I've read that some starters on mid-90's trucks have a front bracket, my son's truck did not when I bought it. I was at Pull-A-Part yesterday and I checked about 10-15 1996-1998 C/K1500s. All the starters were gone but I saw no evidence that any of them had a front bracket installed.

Any help/knowledge is appreciated. My next day off is Saturday so I'd like to get it reinstalled correctly, if a bracket is needed/required.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The front bracket is pretty much just on the old-style full size starter on earlier models. The ones used starting around the mid 90's are either going to be what I refer to as the "mid size" (looks like the full size but is noticeably shorter), and the mini - which is the gear reduction starter.

Broken starter bolts, broken nose cones, etc. on the gen1 small block Vortecs I believe are often due to it kicking back because of a failed distributor cap (they crossfire internally), maybe coolant in the cylinders due to leaking intake gaskets, stuff like that. It seems to happen more than on TBI's and earlier small blocks.

I sure hope the pad isn't cracked around the bolt holes.

Richard

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
This should be the little PMGR starter. Those bolts should be replaced with a starter replacement job. Likely they're as you suggested, and were just torqued too far. The knurl on the bolt shoulder is important. Make sure your new bolts have the proper knurl. Then make sure to check the gear mesh starter bendix gear to to flexplate gear. It could have just been out of alignment.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This should be the little PMGR starter. Those bolts should be replaced with a starter replacement job. Likely they're as you suggested, and were just torqued too far. The knurl on the bolt shoulder is important. Make sure your new bolts have the proper knurl. Then make sure to check the gear mesh starter bendix gear to to flexplate gear. It could have just been out of alignment.

Yep, it's the small starter, the 6449S. Thanks, I've got the instructions on how to check the alignment. Had no unusual sounds or problems for the past year or so that I've owned the truck.

Rtlngr2

Reaction score
I agree, should have small gear reduction starter. no bracket. suggestion , install new starter, remove spark plugs and spin engine over to make sure no liquids in cyliders. liquid does not compress. had a 2000 c3500 with big block at work that hung an injector, filled the cylinder full of fuel, hydro locked the engine an blew the starter off the block. not saying this is your problem but cant hurt to check. cap and rotors do fail and can back spin on the starter also. just like the others said.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, should have small gear reduction starter. no bracket.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the contact surfaces on the starter gear. Looks like everything was working fine. I reinstalled the starter with new bolts, torqued them to 37 ft-lbs (per Haynes manual), and it fired right up. No sign of any problems.