broken bolt in rear pinion yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
During my transmission removal I broke one of the rear drive shaft universal joint strap bolts off in the differential pinion yoke. I read several threads on other forums that ranged from I'm screwed and it requires a complete diff tear down to you can remove it and reinstall it to the same preload. I'm going to pull the yoke to remove the bolt remains and then put it back together.

If at some point it self destructs the I guess we'll know if this isn't a viable repair option.

Here's the video I'm basically copying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zHpz6Zx8c. I hope roadragecustoms doesn't have a problem with it.

To remove: Make a mark to allow installing the pinion bolt back to the same spot by drawing a single line from one universal joint cap saddle to the other crossing the nut, washer and pinion shaft (I used a correction fluid pen). At the bottom of the nut count the number of threads exposed. Impact the nut off, remove the crush washer if you can, and use a puller to remove the yoke.

To install: Place the yoke back onto the pinion shaft so that the alignment line is straight. Place the crush washer in with the alignment line straight (probably not to important to keep this straight but the line will make sure it's facing original side out). Turn and tighten the nut to where the alignment line is straight and the same number of threads are exposed at the bottom of the nut.

This should have put the nut, crush washer, and yoke back to the original position and preload.

My bolt had broken at the shoulder about 1/4 inch up from where the threads started. To remove the bolt I placed the yoke on the ground with the universal side up and flange side down then filled the hole with Liquid Wrench. Once it had drained out I filled it again. The next day I took the yoke to work where I have access to a punch set and a drill press. Our punch set is varying diameters and I picked one that was just smaller that the shoulder hole so I knew that punch would be dead center. I then placed the yoke in a vice we have that sits on the drill press to make sure it was square and vertical. I drilled my first hole with an 1/8 inch cobalt bit using copious amounts of thread starter oil. I then picked a bit which just barely fit through one of the good holes meaning a bit slightly smaller than the thread inner diameter (7/16" I think). I placed this in the press and drilled through the bolt again. I then picked a bit slightly smaller than the shoulder hole meaning slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the thread. I drilled with this until I was about where I thought the shoulder stopped and the threads started.

Even after all that I still had a slight amount of bolt left to one side of the hole (even with the punch set and drill press I ended up a little off center). I took a punch we had that was 1/8" round and ground the head off to kind of a flat blade. I hammer this in between the bolt remains and the shoulder hole and pried out on it. Took a few times bt I was able to break the old bolt shoulder off.

Next I ran the hole with a 5/16-24 tap to cut out the old rest of the old bolt. I ran the tap all the way through and out the bottom the of the hole. I also ran the other three holes for good measure.

Since I might have slightly damaged some of the threads one one side of the hole I wanted to get a bolt that was slightly longer to make sure I could pick up the undamaged threads at the bottom of the hole. A local industrial supply place had replacement bolts (allen heads vice 6 point) that were the same thread, pitch, and shoulder length with the threads the extra 3/8" I wanted.

I will be installing all this in the next few days (my transmission will be done tomorrow) weather permitting.

Again if the assembly blows up I will post it here. If no detrimental posts then I guess it's good to go.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
picture? if theres threads sticking out take a pair of vice grips at it, or cut a notch and usea screwdriver, if its flush broken in there take an easy out and it should come out fine, heat and penetrating oils help as well.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are good with drill you can drill and tap the threads

Sent from somewhere in MN

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
leave it on there, start with a small bit and work your way up until you get close to the threads then ya should be able to get the rest of the bolt out and re-tap it. although I have taken them off and replaced them with no problems too, fixing with same method.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No threads sticking out, bolt broke off about 3/8" in the hole. Tried an easy out, no luck. Couldn't get it to spin.

I have read some that say cobalt bits will work good and some that say they still had a hard time going thru the broken bolt. For me the cobalt bit was quite easy at drilling thru the bolt. Granted I was using a drill press where my leverage was advantaged by the press and not having to push with a hand drill.

Just thought I post this for the next poor sucker that comes along with a broken bolt and searches and gets next to nothing...

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Way easier than the first post makes it out, easy out or drill it out just under the size of the threads, use a chisel to break the remaining bolt and pry it out, no real need to mark the yoke, it will go on in any position use an impact and it will tighten it up, use a torque wrench if you want, if you slide the drive shaft in and it dont line up put the truck in neutral and spin it til it lines up, bolt it back in and off you go

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first older Chevy truck so granted I am new to much of this - but through forum searches I thought there was a specific preload for the differential. The yoke has has a crush washer on it and too much or too little preload with overly stress the internals of the diff, right? Some writers even said that taking the yoke off and putting it back to same was sure to cause the diff to destruct prematurely. I also thought that the service manual states a procedure for removing the yoke and it too says to make marks and such. Am I incorrect in the results of my searches?

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
This is my first older Chevy truck so granted I am new to much of this - but through forum searches I thought there was a specific preload for the differential. The yoke has has a crush washer on it and too much or too little preload with overly stress the internals of the diff, right? Some writers even said that taking the yoke off and putting it back to same was sure to cause the diff to destruct prematurely. I also thought that the service manual states a procedure for removing the yoke and it too says to make marks and such. Am I incorrect in the results of my searches?

I cant count on both hands how many times i have taken apart chevy rearends, never marked anything, as long as you have the yoke on tight and your bearings are good and you have the pinion set correctly it will only tighten so much, im sure there is a torque value for it but i have never torqued it, the yoke doesnt have to go on in any particular position or else it would have spines like the driveshaft, every spline is the same, and the only issues ive ever had out of rearends doing it this way is spidergears which had nothing to do with how it was tightened, that was from brake torqueing and mudding