Brakes much improved without trying - 95 K1500 (Wheel Bearings)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At risk of repetition with any other problematic brake threads, in effort to treat others as I would like to be treated (aka the Golden Rule), I feel as I should report the following.

I have had brakes that had a lot of travel before having any stopping power and semi-ok stopping power even when it did.

I fully rebuilt my front end on my K1500 including new CVJ axles and New Timken Wheel Bearings. I not only am thrilled with the tightness of my front end and how it drives but most important and the reason for this thread is that a byproduct is that my Brakes Are better Big Time!

My guess/theory is that looseness in my bearings kept knocking the pads out so there was excess travel before clamp up due to the bearing or bearings being worn and not running true. The bearings felt and sounded fine with the tires on and even felt pretty good when I had taken them off. I considered not replacing the bearings due to price and them seeming ok with a jacked up spin and load check. Regardless, I had a roar when turning left and I thought my RH bearing might be bad. I drove it after rebuilding the LH but the brake improvement was when the RH was rebuilt including the bearing replacement. My ABS light had been on and another byproduct was that my ABS light has gone off and stayed off.

In summary, replacement of my wheel bearing resulted in a night and day improvement in my brake feel. I was planning on putting on a newer master cylinder or changing to hydraulic boosted brakes or aftermarket performance as I had read about on the forum. Yes, it could be that my ABS works now but I’m not engaging it so I think its just that my bearings are running true without knocking back the pads so the pads don’t have to move far to clamp up which what caliper floats.

If you have an ABS light on, bearing replacement may fix it. If you have a lot of travel in the brake pedal before engaging, worn wheel bearings may be the culprit. I don’t know if the cheap ones are problematic but the timkens I bought seem great. I bought on eBay for around $109 each. I thought it worth the money to buy better bearings after reading reviews on the much cheaper china bearings.

Sorry if I am repeating any other threads but I want folks to know that front wheel bearing replacement may correct their brake issues related to brake pedal feel. I think I’ll replace my rubber hoses and all should be good. It feels ever so slightly spongy when fully pressed with a lot of pressure but engages with WAY LESS pedal travel then before wheel bearing replacement. I think new hoses may further improve the very slight sponginess but will have to validate that theory. I’m super happy with the improvement I stumbled on though without even trying.

I hope this helps others. I wanted this to stand out and be noticed by folks having the same issue so I made it a separate thread.

Last edited: