Brakes chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edv97wt

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new here but not to my truck. I have a 1997 rclb w/t 6 cyl auto that I have owned since 2002. It has been such a great truck that I have sold newer trucks that I've owned over the last few years but always kept this one. The only thing I don't like and can't seem to fix is that the rear brakes seem to heat up causing the drums to go out of round. This can happen when I drive in places where I am braking a lot but can also happen while on extended high way high speed drives (80 plus mph and never touching the brakes). It has been happening for years and it doesn't make it unsafe, it's just annoying. At first, I thought it was just bad drums or that maybe the return springs were weak and they were dragging but that doesn't seem to be the case...when I changed them the wheels (while up on the lift) spun freely...and the drums slipped off very easily...not too common with drum brakes (at least with my experiences). Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution. The truck is a 1500 with 5 lug wheels and has 161k miles

Thanks!