Brake Question - 1995 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_bed

Reaction score
Drums have a maximum diameter spec, and rotors have a minimum thickness spec.

Years ago, when I did not have much money, I drove an older Buick Skylark with aluminum brake drums. When they reached 90 thou over sized, they needed turning again, and the shop would only do it if I signed a waiver, as 90 thou over was the maximum allowed by the factory specs, and they noted on the bill that the drums were turned to 120 over because the customer insisted. Having said this, I have no idea about the size of your brakes, and am not implying that you are deliberately compromising safety.

Those drums went out of round pretty quickly. That old Skylark would haul a$$ in a straight line, but it would not turn or stop worth a damn.

Brakes are pretty important, especially when they are fairly marginal as they are in the GMT 400 light duty trucks, so it's important to get them working as well as possible. Good luck on this one.
Your story reminds me of a lesabre I used to own. It ate through rotors and drums like a hog in a corn crib. Brakes were entirely too undersized for the size of the car, it was a fine car otherwise. As i digress.

I almost don't think the guy at the shop checked the thickness even after asking him to let me know if they were too thin. I will have to break the calipers out and check but i would hope they would take what I consider the most important part of a car seriously. Anyone know the minimum thickness?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Minimum thickness should be stamped on the face of the drum.

On my 98 with that size drum, an out of round drum (brand new out of the box, I might add) would cause the rear to hop when slowing from 50-30 and give me a rhythmic pushback on the pedal in the 15-0 mph range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's good practice to always turn a drum when you replace the pads even if it is a new one as east302 pointed out most new ones are even out of round but being as you said you turned them I guess I am at a loss for what could cause this other than an inadequate break in of the pads..