brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a rear hard brake line rot out and leak all the fluid out of the rear end reservoir. I replaced the line, filled, and bled the rears with my motive power bleeder. I got air bubbles out of the left rear, but didn't notice any out of the right. The fronts were thoroughly bled before fixing the line. Even after fairly extensive bleeding, my brake light is still on, and the pedal goes to the floor. I haven't touched anything with the ABS. Any ideas?

There is no code showing, and nothing when I hooked a code reader to it. Do I need a scan tool to cycle the ABS and bleed it that way, or is there something weird with the hydroboost brake setup? Any ideas?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Try bleeding the master, you likely got air in there when you blew the line.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a master fail while bleeding after rear brake line replacement. It happens

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im going to try and bleed it on the truck. there was a tube vid of a guy who ran a hose from the left front caliper back up to the master, kept pumping the pedal, and bled it that way. think itll work?

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could probably accomplish the same thing by putting a container of brake fluid at the cylinder, keeping the tube submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you mean instead of having the tube from the caliper run back up to the master, just have it dump into a container?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would be the same thing whether it goes back to the master cylinder reservoir or into a bottle of brake fluid at the wheel. You’d be able to have the end of the line submerged so that when you release the pedal it pulls fluid back in instead of air.

My reasoning was that a bottle at the wheel would just be a shorter path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i got you. i think the reasoning behind having it loop itself is to not end up wasting fluid, youre just recycling it. but yeah, i may try that method instead of a long hose.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the bottle method didnt work. but the hose did. the brakes are as good as they were before, near as i can remember, so hopefully at least that part is fixed.