brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirty

Reaction score
i remember something back when i had my other obs (about 8 yrs ago) something about using braided lines to help with stopping and making the brakes fell less "spongy"

1 - is there any truth to any of this?
2- where can they be gotten?
3- what kind of price tag are on them?

thanks

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Braided lines help a lot with the spongy feeling, assuming its from rubber lines and not air in the lines. The difference between the two is quite noticable. One of the easiest/cheapest upgrades you can do with brakes on any vehicle.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
-SS lines expand less. Better pedal feel. Apparently they help manage the ABS, too!
http://www.andysautosport.com/chevr...rakes/brake_lines/goodridge/gdrg00174745.html

Braided lines help a lot with the spongy feeling, assuming its from rubber lines and not air in the lines. The difference between the two is quite noticable. One of the easiest/cheapest upgrades you can do with brakes on any vehicle.

That is the add hype for sure.

Truth is, same benefits can be realized by just installing new hoses.

Steel braid is for abrasion protection, nothing more.

Well, it looks pretty too!

:)

Resistance to expansion is the materials in the hose. Steel braid actually expands very easily.

There was a time braided hose couldn't pass the "whip test" and was denied dot certification. I always thought that was moronic as I build steel braided hose for high pressure aircraft systems and have never witnessed such a failure.

And nothing vibrates and "whips" those hoses more than a helicopter.....:)

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, I've had both. But I've only had braided lines actually break. I only have 1 of my 3 braided lines left(Got to change it out soon) the braidedis way thinner so more pressure maybe. Just last week I was exiting freeway just a mile from work and pedal went to floor. Parked my truck tried to pump up pressure..... Nothing. Got out and fluid was all over ground, looked under truck and rear brake line snapped off were it connects to hard line to frame. And these were made by Earls, ordered from summit. Got the OE on now and a good bleeding and it's firm as hell

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The only time I have ever seen a benefit of the braided lines was when I needed a longer rear hose for a rear axle swap. Never had an issue. but did not feel a difference in the brake pedal.

3rd Coast Z

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upgrading to the NBS master cylinder and 1-ton calipers gave me a much better pedal. I just recently installed braided lines and felt an immediate improvement. I don't know if that was because the rubber hoses were just old or braided is better.